On 06/18/2013 05:47 PM, Duveyoung wrote:
> I heard that there are over one million people with the security clearance
> level and the access to do what Snowden did (or something as potent.)
>
> Get that?
>
> One million people who can do the following:
>
> 1.  Intercept the emails of CEOs etc. as a major merger is brokered -- no
> matter yes or no, money can be made if one knows which way the deal is going,
> and, then, hey, who can prove whether an NSA employee is lucky or is doing
> insider trading?
>
> 2.  Find out about neighbors, the kids who hang with the coder's kids and all
> about their parents and their neighbors and how much everyone earns and what
> the kids grades are and who has what STD and who's gotta get another abortion.
>
> 3.  Find out about anything anyone is doing and blackmail anyone.
>
> 4.  Use the massive architecture of the NSA system to launch every sort of
> "attack" upon anyone from any left field from which any person would least
> expect it.  Every manner of extortion is thus possible.  "Pay up or have your
> life ruined."
>
> 5.  Intercept any message and change it.
>
> 6.  Create a personal "empire" of servers that obey a rogue NSA employee's
> now and future commands even after leaving the NSA.
>
> 7.  Target people on the cutting edge of the frontiers, and invest with two
> or three notches higher ROIs as   new tech that is about to be announced is
> seen and known weeks or more ahead of the announcement -- get in on the
> ground floor or avoid a false-IPO turkey.
>
> 8.  Manipulate the markets with various e-ploys.
>
> AND ON AND ON AND ON....this is just what I could think of in ten
> minutes....imagine what a true smarty pants could dream up to make some easy
> cash.
>
> And here's why the above screed has impact for me, personally:
>
> I have worked with very good coders.  Sitting next them and watching the type
> code at speeds faster than I can type words.  Real and actual whiz kids who
> could do programming on the fly.

And probably shitty and buggy code too but they "grew up with computers"
and feel they own the technology.  Sort of a joke.  I was writing code
before some of these were even born.  Not only is their code shitty and
buggy but also one-dimensional.  They're answer is "hey, it works."
Just look at the bugs we stumble across using Yahoo which BTW, seems to
have solved the problem of losing my local news and weather settings
without me needing  to do anything.  But who knows if they'll turn
around and break it again.

And then they're Google, a haven for the young and inexperienced and
there it really shows and irritates a lot of Android developers.  I call
the place "a lemonade stand."

> I probably know 30 guys who could be truly potent forces-unto-themselves if
> they decided to "do evil" and really exploit access they might have by
> abusing almost any large corporate system.  Just the customer information
> data-sets alone could be disastrously exploited via simple identity theft.

Back in the day I was amazed at how apolitical so many tech folks were.
And if they started to get political took a fancy to libertarianism.
Ugh.  A friend thinks his son wouldn't have a problem with the world
being run entirely by corporations.  Ugh two.

> So, nope.  One million people with the above powers? -- who can type code
> that fast? and it's code that "does stuff" to trillions of bits of
> information in seconds? -- nope, I say, nope.

Some kid wrote a Firefox plugin which got hyped as a way to identify an
NSA compromised site.  Curious, I downloaded his code and all it did was
a take a short list of the known sites such as Google, Facebook, Yahoo,
etc and played a track from the Pink Floyd Darkside of the Moon album.
I would think most people might be able to remember that short list and
not need some plugin to remind them.

I once had a security clearance.  It was mainly so I could work weekends
in the Federal Office Building.  I was doing data  entry but wouldn't
have had a clue about getting into anything since I had yet to learn
computer programming.