emptybill:
> Since the 14th Century, (i.e. with Shankaracharya
> Vidyaranya), the Indian understanding of Advaita has
> has gradually degraded until "Yogic" advaita has become
> the norm...

For most TMers it's enough to know that the Shankaracharya
Sanyasins have taken up the Sri Vidya tradtition and they
all worship the Sri Yantra of Tripurasundari. The Adwaita
that was extolled by the Adi is just pseudo-Buddhism, for
the Brahamin caste in the eighth century.

We don't know why the Shankaracharyas adopted the Sri
Vidya, but we do know it came from Kashmere Tantrism. So,
far from being degraded, they discovered tantric monism,
which is far superior than believing the world is an
illusion, not real - pure Buddhism.

Kashmere Saivism is based on the Siva Sutra, the purpose
of which is to preserve for man the principles of Monism
in the literature called the Tantras.

According to Theos Bernard, when studied in detail,
Kasmere Saivism provides the most complete analysis of
Nature yet devised by any system of Indian philosophy."

However, human logic can never construct an unassailable
Monism; final proof can be had only by the experience of
Samadhi, attained through mantra meditation. That's why
all the Sri Vidya adherents meditate on the bija of
Saraswati at least twice a day.

Kashmere Saivism accepts the fundamental premise that pure
consciousness is the substance of the universe. However,
it differs from the Samkhya and Vedanta systems in its
interpretation of the three basic problems:

1) What is the nature of the ultimate reality;
2) What is the cause of its first movement; and
3) What is the nature of its manifest form?

>From 'Centering', a translation by Paul Reps and Swami
Laksmanjoo in "Zen Flesh, Zen Bones":

"Intone a sound audibly, then less and less audible as
feeling deepens into this silent harmony."

'Vijñânabhairava Tantra'
http://tinyurl.com/ykjog56

You can view a photo of Marshy and Laksmanjoo here:
http://www.rwilliams.us/archives/images/lakman01.jpg

Works cited:

'Foundations of Hindu Philosophy'
by Theos Bernard, Ph.D.
Author of 'Heaven Lies Within Us', 'Penthouse of the Gods',
'Hatha Yoga', etc., etc.
Philosophical Library, 1947
pp. 129-130

"Self-rea;ozation in Kashmere Shaivism"