perfect for our kind of life, bounteous
earth, kindred to what our senses feast upon, will at
the end and most kindly, feast upon our rumpled flesh

________________________________
 From: merudanda <no_re...@yahoogroups.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2013 3:50 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: Le Creme de la Creme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOXMjCnKwb4
subtitled "Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder"
He starts  with John Keats' well-known, light-hearted accusation that Isaac
Newton (it was Theodoric of Freiberg who discovered rainbows were prismatic)
destroyed the poetry of the rainbow by reducing it to the prismatic colors. And
then  shows the reader that science,  not be feared as a sort of cosmological
wet blanket ,does not destroy, but rather discovers poetry in the patterns of
nature

"[I]sn't it sad to go to your grave without ever wondering why you were born?
Who, with such a thought, would not spring from bed, eager to resume
discovering the world and rejoicing to be part of it?"

Beautiful his opening lines a kind of rise above anaesthetic of familiarity:
"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never
going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who
could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of
day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include
greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because
the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of
actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our
ordinariness, that are here.We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth
against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior
state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
After sleeping through a hundred million centuries we have finally opened our
eyes on a sumptuous planet, sparkling with colour, bountiful with life. Within
decades we must close our eyes
 again. Isn't it a noble, an enlightened way of spending our brief time in the
sun, to work at understanding the universe and how we have come to wake up in
it? This is how I answer when I am asked -- as I am surprisingly often -- why I
bother to get up in the mornings. To put it the other way round, isn't it sad
to go to your grave without ever wondering why you were born? Who, with such a
thought, would not spring from bed, eager to resume discovering the world and
rejoicing to be a part of it?"

"There is an anaesthetic of familiarity, a sedative of ordinariness which dulls
the senses and hides the wonder of existence. For those of us not gifted in
poetry, it is at least worth while from time to time making an effort to shake
off the anaesthetic. What is the best way of countering the sluggish
habituation brought about by our gradual crawl from babyhood? We can't actually
fly to another planet. But we can recapture that sense of having just
 tumbled out to life on a new world by looking at our own world in unfamiliar
ways."

"The feeling of awed wonder that science can give us is one of the highest
experiences of which the human psyche is capable. It is a deep aesthetic
passion to rank with the finest that music and poetry can deliver. It is truly
one of the things that make life worth living and it does so, if anything, more
effectively if it convinces us that the time we have for living is quite
finite."
"The adult world may seem a cold and empty place, with no fairies and no Father
Christmas, no Toyland or Narnia, no Happy Hunting Ground where mourned pets go,
and no angels - guardian or garden variety. But there are also no devils, no
hellfire, no wicked witches, no ghosts, no haunted houses, no daemonic
possession, no bogeymen or ogres. Yes, Teddy and Dolly turn out not to be
really alive. But there are warm, live, speaking, thinking, adult bedfellows to
hold, and many
 of us find it a more rewarding kind of love than the childish affection for
stuffed toys, however soft and cuddly they may be."

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Share Long sharelong60@ wrote:
> >
> > salyavin, I like weird ideas too. Even better, something you said once,
> > about the truth being even more wondrous than fiction or scifi or something
> > like that. What's a good example? Well even just bird migration is pretty
> > amazing. Or how they fly in formation. So right, no need to know about
> > faeries to find the garden beautiful. But knowing how different flowers
> > bloom at just the right time to get just the right amount of sun and
> > moisture they need--now that is something that can make the garden look
> > even more beautiful, IMHO (-:
>

> Indeed. Animal migration is amazing. and the Monarch buttefly that flies from
> Mexico to somewhere in north America, but it takes so
> long they stop and
 breed, then die and their offspring continue