> I was thinking this morning of the reaction of the folks at MIU when marshy
> first introduced ayurveda. At MIU anyway, it was a pretty big deal, with a
> lot of build up from the Big Bopper about how marshy was "cognizing" the lost
> aspects of ayurveda and how this branch of vedic knowledge was going to
> transform human life and accelerate all TM'ers evolution towards
> enlightenment.
>
> At the time, it was the first thing since the introduction of TMSP and group
> flying. A lot of people were pretty surprised that there was something new
> being offered since we had always been told all we needed was TM and of
> course the greater blessing of TMSP which was 10,000 times more powerful than
> TM alone.
>
> But it only took a day or two before the lemmings were lining up to plunge
> over the ayurvedic cliff. People crowded around the big tubs of hot milk and
> ghee that was offered every morning, people were agog over the idea that we
> should not take cold foods and especially no cold beverages.
>
> The cooks and bakers were informed that one should only stir food in a
> clockwise direction (I forget why, but if one became bored all one had to do
> was stir in a counter clockwise direction in the presence of a True Marshy
> Ayurveda believer to see them jump around, waving their arms and gasping as
> though the stirrer was creating cosmic havoc that might lead to instant
> annihilation of everyone present.)

LOL, maybe it was clockwise *above* the equator and anti-clockwise
below. That would make a certain kind of semi-plausible[non]sense,
like matching the Earth's directional energy or gaining favour
from planets orbiting in the same direction. Hang on, I'm starting
to believe it.....

But you know you're in a cult when this sort of thing happens, I
had someone almost have a nervous breakdown during dinner when I
got a newspaper out to do the crossword, WHILE EATING! Nothing
worse for you than "dividing your attention" especially WHILE
EATING. The fact that we would otherwise be talking which, I
suspect, might just involve a bit of attention dividing, fell on
deaf ears and he got very upset, not just on my behalf but in
case it somehow affected the whole table. Bizarre.

> The most interesting thing was to see the reaction of people to some of the
> more ridiculous crap that was presented as truth such as the ayurvedic
> injunction of a man not looking at or touching his wife for the first half of
> the day on the first day of her menstrual cycle.
>

> This applied only to married couples of course - marshy ayurveda didn't
> believe anyone could violate the laws of nature to the extent of having sex
> outside marriage.

Quite right, disgusting.

> This particular piece of information was not intended to be common knowledge
> at first. The Movement had brought over some guys from India, supposed
> experts in ayurveda, who were giving lectures, most of which were for all
> faculty, staff and students. But there was one that was announced to be only
> for married couples. This lecture aroused a great deal of curiosity in the
> unmarried friends of the married couples, who of course gave the juicy
> details of the lecture to their friends practically as soon as it was over.
>
> I never heard the rational behind the injunction but it sounded as if
> ayurveda thought a woman's energy was compromised when she has her period and
> much more importantly, the idea was that HER energy would somehow denigrate
> the MAN'S energy so he should not look at or touch her to save himself from
> some bad vibes. A lot of people were a little ticked off over the idea,
> mostly women were ticked off. The men folk however, governors especially,
> felt somehow vindicated.

They still try and introduce the "vedic woman" concept every now
and again, banning menstruating women from dome meetings etc.
And there is still an edict about staying out of the flying room
when on your cycle.

Women have their own role in the TMO, according to the rulers,
it's a role of nurturing and supporting the men. Not, obviously,
a role of decision making or responsibility. Women are no good at
that sort of thing, make them sit behind their husbands wearing
a pretty sari so as not to tax their poor little minds too much.

But they'll only get away with it as long as people put up with it...