> turq, forget Russell Brand! Having finally seen DMe2
> yesterday, I'm still marveling at Steve Carell's
> voice for Gru. And admit that I like villain in 2
> way better than Vector. Plus I noticed at least one
> cool allusion to another film: that scene towards
> the end when 2 characters in disguise are escorting
> another character into the fortress reminds me of a
> similar scene in Wizard of Oz.

There are a LOT of these "homages." I noticed
references to "The Terminator," and about a dozen
other films.  :-)

> SPOILER ALERT: I even think that pre wedding musical
> scene with Minions is a cinematic allusion but don't
> recognize it myself.

Well, obviously, the minions are dressed as the Village
People during one of the music numbers, but the scene
with the minion singing in French is straight out of a
dozen French films that all show someone singing that
song. :-)

> Fortunately Van had alerted me to staying for the
> credits which he knows I usually wouldn't do.

Absolutely a must. They save some of the best bits
for the credits.

> Of course parents with restless kids immediately got
> up to leave and then several paused when the saw the
> post film fun happening.
>

> The Minions remind me of R2D2 and the Ewoks of Endor
> though are much more mischievous. And their language!
> So creative. BTW, I definitely gotta get myself a papoy (-:

The two creators of the series are French, and they
provide the voices for all the minions, so I assume
they made up the language themselves.

Glad you enjoyed it. There is a quality *missing* in
a lot of people here which prevented me from recommend-
ing it to them, but which you have. Which (no offense,
really) is the ability to just be silly. Silly rocks,
IMO. Being willing to just be outrageously silly
indicates to me a powerful lack of ego and pretense
and -- especially -- that trait I rapped about earlier,
the compulsive need to "manage one's image."

Whatever else one could say about the Rama guy I spent
some time with, the man could do silly really well.
And did, often, to help his students who were in danger
of taking themselves and the world too seriously
lighten the fuck up. I think the DM minions help to
serve a similar function.