> whoops, turq, I forgot to say that I enjoyed the photo of
> the Seine on Bastille Day. Though Ann said Doc was wishing
> you a refreshing swim, would it really be such? Meaning,
> is the Seine clean? And is it legal to swim in it?!

It is not particularly clean, although more so than
many Big City Rivers, but no...most people do not try
to swim in it. But last night as I sat at the location
in the photo I actually got to see someone do it. The
edge of the quai was slanted steeply in the direction
of the river, and one young woman foolishly lost her
grip on her purse, and then watched it slide downhill
and into the Seine.

Who *knows* what she had in that purse that was so
precious to her, but she slid down the slope herself
and jumped into the Seine and retrieved it. Her boy-
friend (who was not quite gallant enough to do so
himself) helped her out, and then tried to make up
for it by holding up a blanket to shield her from
prying eyes as she changed into his dry shirt, hers
being soaked and all. It was sweet in a young love
kinda way.

> Anyway, yes I realized you were in Leiden with your
> family and yes, Maya looked adorable with the stuffed
> Minions lined up next to her. She's so angelic looking
> I bet people kind of do a double take when they see her.

They actually do. *Tourists* ask if they can take
photos of "the little Dutch girl."  :-)

> About the stuffed Minions, I understand there are
> talking ones which would be tempting given how fun
> their language is.

I am similarly tempted, but haven't succumbed yet, so
I can offer no advice.

> I can't decide which one I'd like. Of course Kevin got
> more camera time in DMe2 but at the end I also saw one
> whose eyes are 2 different colors! And I love Dave's
> hair sprockets and Stuart's grin. And isn't he the one
> who got in line twice for a good night kiss in DMe1?!
> Oy, well at least I never had a Beanie Baby collection!

Almost everyone could use a minion or two (this kind,
that is, not the aberrant kind we see on FFL) to keep
them real.

> As for me being silly, I totally take it as a compliment
> and will boast that I was laughing in the movie almost
> immediately and would bet money that I laughed and
> chuckled and giggled more than any other adult in the
> audience. And I didn't even need popcorn!

I don't do popcorn, either. Not for any health reason,
just because -- as much as I like movies -- I never
developed a taste for it. But I laughed more than
most of the *kids*, much less the adults.

> PS Yes, what happened to Jane Campion after The Piano?

A good question. I honestly suspect that after "The Piano"
she got hit on by so many arch feminists that their ideas
began to creep into her work, limiting its audience, not
to mention her creativity.

> I've noticed that with some artists and writers: sometimes
> they just have one masterpiece in them and that's it.

If you'd been around FFL longer, you would have read me
rapping about this very subject. There are IMO a great
number of "Shoot your entire wad on your first movie"
writer/directors. And sadly, few of them *ever* managed
to come up with anything to match their first effort.

Think Jeremy Leven, and his brilliant "Don Juan de Marco."
Think Paul Brickman, and "Risky Business." Think Bernard
Rose, with "Immmortal Beloved." All of these guys spent
their entire lives dreaming of being able to make a movie,
and when they got the chance to make their first one,
they put their entire *lives* into it. Then they seemed
to have nothing left. Either that, or all of them fell
prey to the Hollywood Syndrome, and snorted their
success right up their noses, destroying their creativity
forever...