It's a quiet afternoon here at Bad Habits, with little traffic on the
adjacent street and thus little background noise. This enables me to be
somewhat entertained by the never-ending song of rats with wings. That's
what we tend to call the seagulls of Leiden, who have a tendency to rip
open plastic garbage bags left out on the sidewalk before they can be
picked up by the sanitation crews, scattering whatever contents they
don't eat all over the sidewalks.

Many inhabitants of Leiden have learned the esoteric secret of keeping
this from happening, and thus of preventing their garbage from becoming
litter, and forcing them to clean it up later themselves, because the
sanitation crews won't. It's very simple, actually, and any idiot
walking down the streets on garbage day would "get" it immediately, but
it's amazing to me how many don't.

You just buy a certain brand of bright yellow garbage bags,
double-strength, sold alongside the cheaper bags at all stores. For some
reason known only to them, the seagulls (rats with wings) don't like the
color yellow, and avoid those bags completely, reserving their foraging
for the green bags that the cheapskates use, and thus forcing said
cheapskates to spend every garbage day picking up the scattered remnants
of their garbage, repackaging it into yet another green bag, saving it
until the next garbage day, and then doing the same thing all over
again.

There are probably green garbage bags in this city that still contain
garbage originally thrown away months ago, and then re-scattered and
re-bagged every garbage day since. Some people never learn.

But it's not a garbage day today, and the rats with wings are contenting
themselves with sitting on rooftops and serenading the angels walking by
below them.

The angels are, of course, the children of Leiden. I don't know whether
it's the Dutch genes, or the Dutch diet, or a combination of the two,
but Dutch kids tend to be really gorgeous. Their faces -- all
smooth-skinned, rosy-cheeked, and radiant -- light up the city more
effectively than the sun does on an overcast day like today.

I've never really understood the fascination that "spiritual" and "New
Age" people have with mythical angels. But then I don't understand their
fascination with dead people who were supposedly "holier" or "more
evolved" than other people, either. I've got a friend who bases his
entire *life* on going around talking about "saints" and "sidhas" and
other such "superior" or "holier" people, and finding audiences so
fascinated by this subject that they're actually willing to pay for his
life so that he doesn't have to work. Go figure.

I honestly don't get the fascination. Me, I find the ordinary, everyday
people walking by me in the street FAR more fascinating and FAR more
interesting than any of the "superior" people my friend gives lectures
about, to choruses of oooohs and aaaahs from his audiences.

Especially the ordinary, everyday angels, by which I mean the kids. Most
of them walking by today are just so radiant and innocent and inspiring
that I simply cannot fathom anyone having to focus on supposed saints or
mythical angels to find those qualities. All that time and energy spent
focusing on dead people or on beings that in all likelihood do not even
exist, searching for inspiration in stories about them, when inspiration
is walking past them every day on the street, laughing and inviting them
to laugh along. Some people never learn.