Much has been made of the abuses of Google but being a little familiar
with their management style or lack of it I would bet some engineer
added some code, for instance for the cars doing Google Streets,
thinking that having wifi info available might come in handy sometime.
And of course in their Aspergers mind not realizing the privacy
consequences.  Similarly a lot of permissions on Android are used very
innocuously but the press can make a big deal out of them sometimes.

I recall that if anyone IT person had dared read the private emails on
the house network they might have been shown the door. We took email to
be just as private as snail mail.  These days we have a lot of cowboy
coders lacking any ethics who think "why not?"