On 08/06/2013 12:24 PM, RoryGoff wrote:
> Sorry to hear that about Mad Men; I have been enjoying it hugely thus far...
> I LOVE how beautifully it illuminates the dysfunctional 60's -- all this time
> I thought it was only my Dad who pulled that kind of stuff! :-) A very
> healing show for me.

My brother was from that era and I've been amused with the show and how
true to the period it is.  This last season started showing how some
corporations that were actually family owned and run businesses started
becoming publicly held ones.  And of course this last season the agency
was considering going public which is a game changer and was actually
discussed on one of the ad agency blogs.

FYI, the 3rd season of "The Killing" finished Sunday and it will be
available on Netflix streaming shortly because Netflix partially
financed the third season.

The second season of "Continuum" has been very good and this last
episode very revealing.  It too may show up after completion on Netflix
as did the first season.

> As to Copper, yeah, I confess to being a total sucker for
> relatively-well-done historical pieces. The Borgia shows (both versions) were
> a lot of fun, too. My all-time favorite TV show is still probably Deadwood.

The first season of Copper seemed to be more relevant historically but I
lost interest in the second season.  Ripper Street had more fun with
it's historical perspective mainly because it takes in a period a great
change.  Broadchurch is another BBC drama which debuts tomorrow night on
BBC American though the first episode is free without commercials from
their website:
http://www.bbcamerica.com/broadchurch/videos/s1-premiere-episode/

Turq is a fan of  Stephen King and this years Kingfest is "The Dome" on
CBS.  It's been a good show so far.  Folks in Los Angeles and other
cities with Time Warner Cable are a little miffed with the spat between
CBS and TWC as CBS and Showtime are now missing from the lineup.  No
"Dexter" or "The Dome" for them.  And I have been enjoying Showtime's
"Ray Donovan" too which got better after the pilot episode.  Paula
Malcomson, who played Trixie in Deadwood, plays the wife of Ray Donovan
who is played by Liev Schreiber.  The cast also include Jon Voigt,
Elliot Gould and James Woods.

Netflix streaming is a bit iffy around here lately.  I have 12 mbps
broadband but last night trying to finish an episode of "Orange is the
New Black" I got about 10 minutes in and then it would start rebuffering
and give me an SD version for about 30 seconds then back to HD.  It did
that  several times more but towards the end I had to give up because it
would rebuffer every 30 seconds only give a low quality SD stream.

Apparently the problem is that many of the telecoms are dragging their
feet with upgrades to a kinda service link so more customers can have
high bandwidth service.  But we paid for our Netflix and we paid for our
broadband and we want it.  If this doesn't get resolved we want Congress
to look into it.  Some of this problem will go away come September when
kids are back in school and going to Friday night football etc instead
of staying home and watching Netflix.