On 08/06/2013 03:22 PM, RoryGoff wrote:
> Many thanks to both of you Barrys! And I have yet to sample either "The
> Killing" or "Continuum" -- something to look forward to, when I catch up on
> all the rest! Sorry to hear about your troubles with "Orange is the New
> Black" -- I marathoned that one in a couple of days; luckily we have very
> good fiberoptic service out here in the boonies :-)

In the SF Bay Area the choice is pretty much Comcast or AT&T. Any third
party ISP often rides on the back of AT&T anyway.  If I lived in the
"boonies" of Petaluma then Sonic.net offers 1 gigabit fiber much like
Fairfield has.  However it is not always the ISP but the politics and
corporate wars of  the infrastructure:
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/07/why-youtube-buffers-the-secret-deals-that-make-and-break-online-video/

It pisses me off enough to wish that the large telecoms would either be
broken up or nationalized.  They aren't serving us just themselves
(which is the problem with a lot of corporate America).