--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "seventhray27" <steve.sundur@...> wrote:

> I understand.  Sometimes I am trying to do things in a hurry,
> (especially at work), and if I get stymied, I might try a different
> route.  But we had AVG for many years and were quite satisfied.
>
> I admit, "Free" is often the operative word for me in such cases.
>
> I really don't understand either why people would pay for anti
> virus protection when the free versions seem to work just as
> well.  At least for what I'm doing.

Well, to be honest, *some* of the "free" companies aren't.

For example, in one study, something like 50% of the free
anti-spyware programs offered on the Web were themselves
spyware. When you installed their "free" software, you
got an extra added bonus -- spyware that 1) disabled your
existing anti-virus or anti-spyware program and inserted
in its place 'bots that made it *look* as if these programs
were running when they weren't, and 2) tracked your every
move on the Internet, databased that information, and then
sold it to the highest bidder.

I've come to rely on reviews from sources I trust to help
me sort out which are the phony "free" software vendors
out there, and which are the real ones.

Please don't get me wrong. I am SO not against freeware.
The product I work on for the Incredibly Big Megacorporation,
which enables software developers to "build once, deploy
multiple times" when creating mobile applications, has a
freeware version. I think it's a sound, and wise, business
decision for them to do this.

If nerd developers use the product and find it useful --
because it enables them to write apps once for one mobile
platform (such as iOS - phones or tablets) and then,
without even recompiling or rewriting their code for the
new target hardware platform, deploy it to Android devices,
and Blackberry devices, and Win8/Windows Phone platforms
-- they might eventually be hired by Incredibly Big
Megacorporations. And over time, they might recommend
to their bosses that they look into it as their "tool
of choice." That's the marketing theory, anyway. And
I've seen it work; an increasing number of corporations
have listed their reason for buying the corporate
version (and costs-serious-money version) version
of the product as, "Recommended by employees."