FWIW, National Enquirer has the peculiar
reputation of being sleazy but accurate.
I'd be inclined to give one of its stories
more credibility than anything in Capitol
Hill Blue.

Some of the details are obviously bogus,
but otherwise...

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "feste37" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> From this week's National Enquirer
> http://www.nationalenquirer.com/celebrity/63426
>
> BUSH'S BOOZE CRISIS
> By JENNIFER LUCE and DON GENTILE
> Faced with the biggest crisis of his political life, President Bush
has hit the
> bottle again, The National Enquirer can reveal.
> Bush, who said he quit drinking the morning after his 40th
birthday, has
> started boozing amid the Katrina catastrophe.
> Family sources have told how the 59-year-old president was caught
by First
> Lady Laura downing a shot of booze at their family ranch in
Crawford, Texas,
> when he learned of the hurricane disaster.
> His worried wife yelled at him: "Stop, George."
> Following the shocking incident, disclosed here for the first time,
Laura
> privately warned her husband against "falling off the wagon" and
vowed to
> travel with him more often so that she can keep an eye on Dubya,
the sources
> add.
> "When the levees broke in New Orleans, it apparently made him reach
for a
> shot," said one insider. "He poured himself a Texas-sized shot of
straight
> whiskey and tossed it back. The First Lady was shocked and
shouted: "Stop
> George!"
> "Laura gave him an ultimatum before, 'It's Jim Beam or me.' She
doesn't want
> to replay that nightmare — especially now when it's such tough
going for her
> husband."
> Bush is under the worst pressure of his two terms in office and his
popularity
> is near an all-time low. The handling of the Katrina crisis and
troop losses in
> Iraq have fueled public discontent and pushed Bush back to drink.
> A Washington source said: "The sad fact is that he has been
sneaking drinks
> for weeks now. Laura may have only just caught him — but the word
is his
> drinking has been going on for a while in the capital. He's been in
a pressure
> cooker for months.
> "The war in Iraq, the loss of American lives, has deeply affected
him. He takes
> every soldier's life personally. It has left him emotionally
drained.
> The result is he's taking drinks here and there, likely in private,
to cope. "And
> now with the worst domestic crisis in his administration over
Katrina, you pray
> his drinking doesn't go out of control."
> Another source said: "I'm only surprised to hear that he hadn't
taken a shot
> sooner. Before Katrina, he was at his wit's end. I've known him for
years. He's
> been a good ol' Texas boy forever. George had a drinking problem
for years
> that most professionals would say needed therapy. He doesn't
believe in it
> [therapy], he never got it. He drank his way through his youth,
through college
> and well into his thirties. Everyone's drinking around him."
> Another source said: "A family member told me they fear George
is 'falling
> apart.' The First Lady has been assigned the job of gatekeeper."
Bush's
> history of drinking dates back to his youth. Speaking of his time
as a young
> man in the National Guard, he has said: "One thing I remember, and
I'm most
> proud of, is my drinking and partying. Those were the days my
friends. Those
> were the good old days!"
> Age 26 in 1972, he reportedly rounded off a night's boozing with
his 16-year-
> old brother Marvin by challenging his father to a fight.
> On November 1, 2000, on the eve of his first presidential election,
Bush
> acknowledged that in 1976 he was arrested for driving under the
influence of
> alcohol near his parents' home in Maine. Age 30 at the time, Bush
pleaded
> guilty and paid a $150 fine. His driving privileges were
temporarily
> suspended in Maine.
> "I'm not proud of that," he said. "I made some mistakes. I
occasionally drank
> too much, and I did that night. I learned my lesson." In another
interview
> around that time, he said: "Well, I don't think I had an addiction.
You know it's
> hard for me to say. I've had friends who were, you know, very
addicted... and
> they required hitting bottom (to start) going to AA. I don't think
that was my
> case."
> During his 2000 presidential campaign, there were also persistent
questions
> about past cocaine use. Eventually Bush denied using cocaine after
1992,
> then quickly extended the cocaine-free period back to 1974, when he
was 28.
> Dr. Justin Frank, a Washington D.C. psychiatrist and author of Bush
On The
> Couch: Inside The Mind Of The President, told The National
Enquirer: "I do