---  turquoiseb <no_reply@...> wrote:

> I would say that atheists show a great deal more strength
> and inner conviction than most believers simply because
> they've managed in most cases to overcome the decades of
> *conditioning* that people raised in religious cultures
> undergo that was designed to prevent them from *ever*
> doubting either the existence of God or the "truth"
> of the things He supposedly says from time to time.
>
> That's some heavy-duty conditioning, and I suggest that
> most people have never in their lives had the strength
> to counter it, and ponder such things seriously. It's
> far easier to just continue to believe, or pretend to.
> Because, after all, we all know what happens to those
> who *don't* do what God says.
>
> Take an example from the Bible, brilliantly retold by
> a more modern-day prophet. I would say that this
> exchange pretty much *defines* what people were taught
> about their relationship with God:
>
> God said to Abraham, "Kill me a son"
> Abe says, "Man, you must be puttin' me on"
> God say, "No." Abe say, "What?"
> God say, "You can do what you want Abe, but
> The next time you see me comin' you better run"
> Abe says, "Where do you want this killin' done?"
> God says, "Out on Highway 61"
>
> I think Saint Bob pretty much *nailed* the traditional
> notion of God in this verse. He tells you shit, and
> you'd damned well better do it, or else. And that's
> if you believe in Him. What *worse* fate could befall
> you if you *don't* believe in Him?
>
> Try to run through the Abraham-Issac story from two
> different points of view. From the first POV, assume
> that God does not exist, and Abe is hearing voices
> in his head. Having been told that such voices might
> "come from God," he is willing to kill *his own son,*
> just to do what this God who never existed "told"
> him to do. That's some serious crazy.
>
> But the other point of view is even crazier. God
> exists, and the way He gets *His* jollies is to go
> to people who *do* believe in Him and tell them to
> kill their own children. If that's the way this
> story really went down, God is one sick, twisted
> motherfucker. And that's even crazier.
>
> Personally, I think that one of the most poignant
> quotes I've ever heard on the subject of the existence
> of God was in a line of graffiti supposedly found
> scrawled on the walls of Dachau when it was liberated:
>
> "If there is a God, and someday I get to meet Him,
> the first words out of His mouth had damned well
> better be an apology."

Cannibalism and human sacrifices were rampant 8,000 years
ago and during the early days of civilisation.

The story is probably a metaphorical or symbolic message
that humans should not be sacrificed and an animal will do.

   " We must question the story logic of having an
   all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans,
   and then blames them for his own mistakes."

   " I condemn false prophets, I condemn the effort to take
   away the power of rational decision, to drain people of
   their free will -- and a hell of a lot of money in the
   bargain.  Religions vary in their degree of idiocy, but I
   reject them all. For most people, religion is nothing
   more than a substitute for a malfunctioning brain."

    ~ Gene Roddenberry