> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@> wrote:

--snip--

While I do not have time to enter the fray here at the moment, I did notice
this thread about 'Mind and Cosmos' which I have *not* read but which seemingly
brings up once again the 'hard problem of consciousness'.

I do not think hard problem will go away philosophically or experimentally.
When the brain is deactivated, all observable appearances of conscious
behaviour vanish. But as meditators of one sort or another, the experiences we
have are something else. In particular for me, the gap I experienced during
surgery was most interesting. Did I in fact experience it? Was it an
experience? Was it pure being? Like TC, but lasts for hours but has no sense of
time.

Then there is the experience that everything has an equal value of
consciousness, which in some way, seems redundant to say there is some value
called consciousness that is somehow distinct from any kind of experience. To
me consciousness = being, and this contradicts the idea that consciousness can
be snuffed out by destroying the brain. But then when the brain is largely
deactivated by anaesthesia there is nothing, or is there? Because that gap has
a value, at least in retrospect in memory of its having been there. It is a
paradox. At least intellectually it is a paradox, and perhaps leaving it as a
mystery on the level of the mind can leave one settled.

Ever wonder what a neo-Darwinist atheist would experience in GC? (Assuming GC
is a real state of experience)

I came across some web pages discussing Nagel's book:

http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2013/03/ferguson-on-nagel.html
http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2012/10/nagel-and-his-critics-part-i.html
http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2012/10/nagel-and-his-critics-part-ii.html
http://edwardfeser.blogspot.com/2012/11/nagel-and-his-critics-part-iii.html