--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "salyavin808" <fintlewoodlewix@...> wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "authfriend" <authfriend@> wrote:
>
> Thanks for seeking it out.

I didn't "seek it out," actually. It was in the NYTimes
yesterday, which I read daily.

> > The Core of `Mind and Cosmos'By THOMAS NAGEL
> > <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/author/thomas-nagel/>
> > This is a brief statement of positions defended more fully in my book
> > "Mind and Cosmos: Why the Materialist Neo-Darwinian Conception of
> > Nature Is Almost Certainly False," which was published by Oxford
> > University Press last year. Since then the book has attracted a good
> > deal of critical attention, which is not surprising, given the
> > entrenchment of the world view that it attacks. It seemed useful to
> > offer a short summary of the central argument.
> > Read
> > more:http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/18/the-core-of-mind-an\
> > d-cosmos/
> > <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/08/18/the-core-of-mind-and-co\
> > smos/>
>
> So it's *that* old chestnut. I can't imagine what the controversy
> is about then, this idea has been around for donkey's years.
>
> Probably just some bloggers reacting to the term "neo-Darwinism"
> being false. Bless 'em.

No, actually (as I already told you) a bunch of Big Guns
in the field of philosophy; their reviews have been
published in scholarly journals and important publications
like Commonweal, the New Republic, The Nation, and the New
York Review of Books, among others. (Some bloggers too, of
course.)

You make some interesting comments, but I'll have to get
back to you later on those. Just wanted to make those two
quick points for now.