--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "shempmcgurk"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Let's do a little experiment, Shemp.
>
> Yes, let's.
>
> > First, quit your job, so that you are unemployed
> > and on an equal footing with other unemployed
> > people.
>
> Fine.  Whether I'm employed or not has NOTHING to do with poverty
> (poverty = lack of basic necessities of life)

Remember, Shemp, you have no money.  You just
spent the last of it on one month's rent.  You
also have no health insurance.  I'm going to
be generous and give you $100 or so to cover
food and transportation on the bus for this
first month that you're searching for work.

> >  You can't start working again in your
> > field for the duration of the experiment.
>
> Has nothing to do with poverty whether I work or not.

Tell me about that when your 100 bucks runs out.

> >  Next,
> > give me the keys to your car;
>
> A car is not a basic necessity of life (and, by the way, only a
> spoiled-brat American born with a silver spoon in his mouth would
> actually think that it was).

Great.  Then you'll have no problem looking for
a job on the bus, will you?

> > you'll get it back
> > in six months.  Next, give me all your savings,
>
> Savings has ZERO to do with whether one has the basic necessities
> of life.

I see.  If you're lucky, you won't get sick during
the next six months, and have to see a doctor.

> > except for one month's rent (no more) on an
> > apartment that someone working at minimum wage
> > could afford;
>
> Roof over one's head and minimal warmth IS a basic necessity,
> which you've granted me in your little experiment.

I'm being generous.  According to one study I just
studied, at any given time 1.2 million Americans
don't even have that.  They're homeless.  And that's
just the homeless CHILDREN.

> > you'll get the rest of your savings
> > back, too.  Finally, move out of your house and
> > into this apartment and start over, on a *truly*
> > equal footing with those people you look down on.
>
> Actually, Tantra, it is you who looks down on them: you obviously
> don't even consider "poor" people humans who are possessed of the
> same equal intelligence that you have.

Intelligence, yes.  Opportunities, no.  That's
what you would have discovered if you had ever
been in their shoes.

> > Then spend six months living like millions of
> > people really live, and tell me at the end of
> > it all how "equal" you felt to those who had
> > cushy jobs and a car and a house.
> >
> > You won't do it, of course.  People who live in
> > dream worlds never want to wake up.
>
> Why do you even waste your time with cretins like me, Tantra?

A good question.  Because sometimes you show heart.
Other times, you're just a typical American -- ignorant
and proud of it.