Re: "You speak as if he really had an enlightenment experience."

Of course he did, you numbskull - not that he now considers it the accurate
"reality" by which life is lived.  You should be able to pick up on this - even
I, with enlightenment experiences (back in the day) attributable only to LSD,
have the requisite brain cells left necessary to objectively determine this
fact.  You haven't done your research. Clearly he wrote sincerely - back then
and now (and even as the Master of Irony - he's sincere - that's the brilliance
of it all, really).  Jason, you need to pull your head out of your ass on this
and go get a cuppa something.