(-:

________________________________
 From: Xenophaneros Anartaxius <anartax...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:05 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: How the deluded see the world....

> This article/research is not exactly a surprise, and not even new. There
> have been similar studies in the past that proved that when it comes to
> the question of "Which comes first, perception or belief?," the answer
> is pretty much *always* "Belief."
>
> That is why I was uncomfortable with an exchange here earlier this
> month, in which people were throwing around the word "charlatan" to
> describe someone (I honestly don't remember who at this point), and
> seemingly expecting me to pile on. I can't do that, even with Maharishi
> or Fred Lenz - Rama. I don't consider either of them "charlatans" in the
> sense that most people use that word, because it describes someone who
> knowingly deceives others, and doesn't believe the things he is saying.
>
> I think both of them believed pretty much every word that they said. I
> think they believed it so strongly, in fact, that these beliefs caused
> them to delude themselves into "seeing" and "feeling" things that
> supported those beliefs. Their beliefs *programmed* their own brains
> into "seeing" things that weren't there, and that had no relationship to
> reality as most people perceive it.
>
> MJ has a harsher view of MMY, and seems to favor the idea that MMY was
> indeed a charlatan, telling people things that he didn't believe or that
> he knew weren't true, just for the money, or for the ego-strokes, or for
> the attention, or just because. I don't. I think that he spent so much
> time in trance states that he believed were "higher" or "more real" than
> other people's perceptions that he could pop himself into one of them
> pretty much any time he wanted, and thus "program" his senses into
> seeing things that *agreed* with his beliefs, even if those things
> weren't really there.
>
> The classic example is the one-liner that even TBs laugh at, because
> (except for a vocal and even more delusional few on this forum who never
> spent *any* time around Maharishi) they've all seen it, too. "How many
> have had this experience? [Three hands go up in a room full of hundreds
> of people] See? Almost everyone." IMO he really DID see a room full of
> waving hands, because he believed that was what "should" have happened.
> Therefore, for him, it really *did* happen.
>
> But it didn't.
>
> Understanding this mechanism of belief driving perception (and NOT
> vice-versa) is in my experience key to developing a more compassionate
> and balanced view of the world of "holy men" and shysters who
> proliferate on this backwards planet. My bet is that even the worst of
> them -- like Satya Sai Baba -- *believed* that he was "manifesting" the
> vibhuti powder he had so carefully palmed and hidden under a tray before
> his cheap parlor magic acts. You can actually *see* him doing this in
> videos on YouTube. But just as his TB followers watch those videos and
> fail to see the obvious palming, preferring their belief in him as a
> [...]

Tinkerbell isn't real? Oh my.

I think it is good advice to distrust one's own experiences, and not take them
too seriously. This can be difficult to do if surrounded by a lot of peer
pressure. In spiritual movements it can be very difficult to accept that your
experiences are not going the predicted way, or that you had a great experience
that then vanished without a trace.

Go away Tink, I'm posting.