I never paid more than $20K for a car - My 2000 Mazda MPV, bought new - still
running, has 130K miles on it.

So, if I buy a $20K car, and instead, spend the $40K extra it costs me to get a
Tesla, on gas, at four bucks a gallon, twenty miles to the gallon, I get
200,000 miles out of it.

I sincerely doubt the Tesla is going to last that long, without multiple
expensive battery pack changes, and those batteries don't get charged for free.

It is a status symbol for the rich, now.