--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Seraphita" <s3raphita@...> wrote:
<snip>
> Because I have a morbid curiosity, I was wondering if it's
> ever happened that a convict has served time in a men's prison
> and subsequently been transferred to a women's prison after the
> necessary gender-reassignment. Why anyone on FFL should know the
> answer to that one I can't imagine.

I can't, but Manning isn't likely to actually get gender-
reassignment *treatment* in prison, although her lawyer is
planning to sue for it. Here's a video and two articles on
the circumstances she faces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWqaNx8mDBc
(interview with a trans friend of Manning)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/08/22/chelsea_manning_is_now_the_most_famous_transgender_inmate_in_america_all.html
(article at Slate by Amanda Hess)

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/22/how-the-policy-might-be-changed.html

http://tinyurl.com/lcxqlea

Excerpt from the Daily Beast piece:

How Chelsea Manning Will Test the Military's Transgender Policy

...[The Prison Rape Elimination Act] led to regulations from the federal
Department of Justice to determine housing for transgender inmates on a
case-by-case basis, "taking into account factors like personal preference and
safety needs," according to the ACLU, not solely based on their genitals. The
act bans "protective custody" for transgender inmates, along with segregated
LGBT housing units, and it requires staff to be trained on how to communicate
with and treat transgender inmates, even including the ban of "genital searches
of transgender inmates just to determine their gender." Those rules, as of
June, apply to all correctional facilities that require federal funding.

Manning's notoriety and her public revelation about being transgender already
put her at serious risk of harassment and/or rape at Leavenworth. No giant leap
from there, then to argue that Manning would be best protected by the prison
rape act by doing time in a women's facility, [Dru Levasseur, transgender
rights project director at Lambda Legal] said....