--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Seraphita" <s3raphita@...> wrote:

> Thanks for your response. That has given me food for thought.
> To me, one of the more grotesque features of American life has always
> been the horrendous treatment of prisoners in the US prison system. It
> has always astonished me that convicts have not been able to sue the
> prison authorities for the gross abuse they are subject to: and yes,
> rape is top of the list. When you think that citizens successfully sue
> McDonalds for scalding hot coffee and other crap through the courts how
> prisoners are still subject to such barbaric treatment really saddens
> me. (And, yes, I know lots of them are complete low-lifes, but it
> degrades us when we descend to that level.)

Oh, I couldn't agree with you more. It's just a terrible,
ghastly disgrace. A lot of people who might otherwise be
salvageable *become* incorrigible low-lifes after being
incarcerated.

You might be interested in this post on the blog Talk
Left (run by one of the defense attorneys for Timothy
McVeigh, the Oklahoma City bomber), on Manning's
situation (including links to other articles and a
post on relevant case law from Courthouse News Service):

http://www.talkleft.com/story/2013/8/22/163920/964/civilliberties/Chelsea-Manning-Requests-Hormone-Treatment

http://tinyurl.com/l3sf4ej

Check out the comments for this post. Several of the
commenters have knowledge of what's involved in
transitioning for transgender folks and some thoughts on
how important it is for their mental health (and
physical health as well, in that the rate of suicide
among untreated transgender individuals is *very* high).