Card, I sure hope you know about this project:

http://www.meru.org/

I met the guy, Stan Tenen, and he's convincing.

He says that the projected 2D shadow of the ram's horn (the shofar) can become
shaped like the Hebrew letters if you twist it this way and that, AND get this,
he told me there's a formula/algorithm that would turn the horn incrementally
such that the first chapter of Genesis is produced.  Don't know how much to
believe, but I'm betting you'd find this stuff very satisfying.

Edg