You are indeed correct that the Internet has shrunk the world to a nanosecond. The powers at be hate this. They want to take away the Internet or rule it. They could do this with a false flag cyberattack. However that would also cripple a lot of their cronies.

One thing we know is that capitalism when you have a large population creates disorder and inequities. The unscrupulous wind up ruling.