--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Archer" <rick@...> wrote:

> I've only watched the first two episodes so far. My only
> criticisms were that the dialog seemed so frenetic, and so
> cute and witty and off-the-cuff articulate, that it seemed
> unrealistic. Aaron Sorkin's "The West Wing" sucked me in
> and made me feel I was really in the White House.

Pretty much the same here, Rick. But even the super-snappy
dialogue in "West Wing" began to get to me after a while.

A couple years ago I was doing something in the kitchen
with the TV on. I hadn't been listening, but the audio of
a clip from some dramatic show that was being played
caught my attention. I hadn't heard it before--it wasn't
from "West Wing"--but I knew instantly it was a Sorkin
show because just the rhythms of the dialog were so
recognizable. Seems to me that has to be a flaw of some
sort.

> The Newsroom
> hasn't sucked me in yet. I felt I was watching something
> unrealistic.

I've seen only the first episode and a clip from the final
episode of the first season, and it wasn't just the dialog
that was unrealistic. I wonder what folks who have actually
worked in the White House thought about "West Wing" in
terms of realism. I know nuttin' about working in the
White House, but I do know something about TV news
operations, and there was stuff in the first episode and the
later clip from "Newsroom" that was seriously inauthentic.

Just for one thing, the station's reporting on the Gulf
disaster was portrayed wildly inaccurately: they supposedly
dug up the details of what had happened very shortly afterward
that *nobody had actually known for days and even weeks*.
And the script used that faux knowledge to beat up on other
news outlets for going with the "drama" of the missing crew
members instead of focusing on the environmental disaster
(which, in reality, wasn't yet evident to anybody at that
point, but which the "Newsroom" folks had purportedly
uncovered within a matter of hours).

Not that the news media totally covered itself with glory
in its reporting on the Gulf spill, but this portrayal was
just below the belt, IMHO. Nobody who watched this episode
who hadn't followed the Gulf story pretty closely would
have any reason to suspect that the news media had not, in
fact, disgraced itself in the early days of the catastrophe
by not doing the necessary investigation.

Still pisses me off. If you're going to re-create a very
recent major event for a mass audience, you need to take
significant pains to do it accurately rather than
distorting it for the sake of the drama. Otherwise your
grossly mangled version is likely to become the common
wisdom.