> As much as Dylan saying "I can't sing, half of the time I don't  even
say
> real words, I just mumble, and my lyrics make no sense." is the
closest
> to Absolute Truth one will ever find in the plane of relative
existence,
> the article you stumbled upon is satire.
Spoilsport.  :-)

--- In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

As  chance would have it, I discovered this article *while* listening to
an  old Bob Dylan song. Still tripping on the near god-like 1960s
pairing  of Dylan and Joan Baez after hearing her "nostalgia song" about
him  recently, I thought I'd look up his 1965 "goodbye song" to her. So
I'm  sitting here at the computer, listening to the following lyrics,
and  thoroughly enjoying imagery of lines like:

King Kong little elves
On the rooftops they dance
Valentino-type tangos
While the make-up man's hands
Shut the eyes of the dead
Not to embarrass anyone
Farewell Angelina
The sky is embarrassed
And I must be gone.

...and  synchronistically, at that very moment, I click on the following
article. It caused no cognitive dissonance in me, because I've *never*
plumbed Dylan's lyrics for "meaning." Since Day One, I've been convinced
that he was writing *imagery*, not symbolism. To me, he always just
painted "sound movies" that were to be enjoyed because they were
beautiful, not because they "meant" anything.

But try to imagine  how many people who have argued far into the night
over Dylan's lyrics  and what they believe (and assert with forceful
intensity) they "mean"  are going to react to this. My bet is that they
won't believe it, any  more than they would believe that the "meaning"
they see in platitudes  repeated by their spiritual teachers of choice
may not really be there.  "Of course it's there...*I* see it there."

Bob Dylan Acknowledges 50-Year-Long Hoax: My Lyrics Don't Make Sense

  [Bob-Dylan]
Rock  and roll legend, Bob Dylan, acknowledged in a recent interview
that he  has perpetuated an elaborate hoax on the public for more than
fifty  years. "I can't sing, half of the time I don't even say real
words, I  just mumble, and my lyrics make no sense."
Dylan, born Robert Zimmerman, said it began innocently in a concert  at
the New York Coffee House, "The Bitter End" in 1962. "The audience  was
so stoned that when I started to play `This land is My Land' for the
eighth time, I started to mumble sounds. The audience went crazy. The
critics said I was the `future of rock and roll' so who am I to
disappoint them? I was just giving the people what they wanted. "

Dylan, often referred to as a "poetic genius", claims he never knew
what people were talking about. How profound is `don't want to be a bum,
you better chew gum. The pump don't work `cause the vandals stole the
handles'?" I just made up simple rhymes. Any child could have done what
I did."

The Rolling Stone interview was a promotion for the star's recent
autobiography "Buy This Book and the Charade Will Continue".

The confession has had no apparent impact on the singer's popularity,
with his new book topping Amazon's best-seller chart this week.

"Apparently, Lincoln was wrong. You can fool all of the people, all of
the time," Dylan added.