Thank you Share.  I bought that book and shelved it somewhere.  I'll check it 
out.  


________________________________
 From: Share Long <sharelon...@yahoo.com>
To: "FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> 
Sent: Friday, September 6, 2013 3:43 AM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I blame the haystacks (was 
Sacre Bleu)
 


  
Emily, a wonderfully validating book for introverts is Susan Cain's Quiet. She 
also has some youtube items, including a TED talk. She thinks that the emphasis 
on being extroverted began with How To Win Friends and Influence People.




________________________________
 From: Emily Reyn <emilymae.r...@yahoo.com>
To: "FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com" <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com> 
Sent: Thursday, September 5, 2013 9:55 PM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I blame the haystacks (was 
Sacre Bleu)
 


  
Yeah.....I know. I think it's that I was incorrectly labeled an extrovert as a 
child; based on Ravi's post of the other day, I am confirming what I always 
thought; in fact I am an introvert.  All these years spent trying to be an 
extrovert; so stressful it has been. I can probably stop unstressing about it 
all now online and retreat into my den for a little inner child work.  Smile.  


________________________________
 From: "bobpri...@yahoo.com" <bobpri...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com 
Sent: Thursday, September 5, 2013 5:32 PM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: I blame the haystacks (was Sacre 
Bleu)
 


  
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y25stK5ymlA


--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


 Or with a lot of effort....smile. 


--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


Ann, don't underplay your strengths here as CEO of the club or underestimate 
the range of skills we need and already have.  You, for one, are both bold and 
smarter than average mean girl.  Me, I'm just a normal meanie, but I look up to 
you to teach me, which you do every day.  We *want* Bob in this club with the 
skill set he has; we don't want that guy off starting his own club (RMGC); it 
will go to his head, trust me. Bob, as he's stated, and you've noticed, can get 
a little *intense* at times and he needs the group to keep him in line.  For 
example, back before I think you were here (not sure) there was a whole series 
of posts featuring Bubbles Devere that I remember well.  Here's one for old 
times sake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vhU6YbyPHw


I do agree that it is best to stay on Bob's good side, but not because he gets 
mad (Bob doesn't get mad, he just gets even).  Smile.  And, bear in mind, if he 
gets too out of line, Judy will correct him.  He's a bit of a wild horse that 
one, but those are the ones that have the largest hearts, and they can be 
trained, with a little effort. 

 



--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


Now Bob, I think after reading this that I have underestimated you. I am not 
sure our little MGC is big enough or smart enough or bold enough for you. You 
might want to check out the RMGC (the "R" is for Really). However, I will be 
thrilled if you want to stay with THIS club. I hear you have a dynamite garage 
and are already making great headway with the clubhouse. And The Wife, I hear, 
is thrilled you will be close to home during the meetings. So, all in all, I 
hope you will remain with our humble little group. Just don't ever get mad at 
me, okay? I wouldn't know where to begin disarming you if you did.


--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:


BP2: Just kidding about your other post, but isn't this fun, learning all about 
color---as we learn to play well with others.


>>>>--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>BW1: Just as a followup, the roach's claim that the blue
>>>>in question as sacrÃÂÃÂÃÂé bleu (the sacred blue) is "cobalt
>>>>blue" is completely incorrect. 
>>>>
>>>>BP2: I was thrilled to learn you've been reading my posts, I assume you 
>>>>agree with everything else I've posted, since this is the only one you 
>>>>responded to; I can't wait to see what software, or dark art, you'll come 
>>>>up with going forward to continue to read my posts without actually reading 
>>>>them; please don't go all beta on me; you might consider using the 
>>>>ultramarine molecule---as we all know Lapis Lazuli is magical. And don't 
>>>>worry about calling me a "roach", I know you mean well, and I've been 
>>>>called worse; I am wondering if this means roaches are boring; I know they 
>>>>can survive a nuclear explosions. Also, please correct me if I'm wrong (I 
>>>>understand reading is not one of your preferred activities), but I don't 
>>>>believe I actually wrote that cobalt blue was the sacrÃÂÃÂÃÂé bleu your 
>>>>Mr. Moore was going on about; I'm still curious why you didn't mention 
>>>>cobalt blue or ultramarine---or any other color---in a book review about a 
>>>>book about
 van Gogh and his contemporaries.    
>>>>
>>>>BP1: Considering the title of the book he was reviewing, I'm surprised 
>>>>Barry mentioned 
nothing about cobalt blue--- *sacred* or otherwise, or any other color 
for that matter (comedy or not he was writing about painters); and since its 
fairly common knowledge that Thenard discovered cobalt blue in 1802 (as in 
"Thenards Blue"---another name for cobalt blue ) who the hell is The Colorman 
("In the shadows, lurking for centuries...")? Obviously Vincent shot 
himself, after one too many haystacks, in the stomach, and the reason he picked 
his tummy was because it was so upset from all the lead in the 
cobalt blue and chrome yellow he had been tasting to make sure the 
mixture was up to his standards: I understand its a work of fiction, but I 
think Barry could have 
mentioned something about color without getting to close to "haystacks".
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>BW1: Cobalt blue was made
>>>>from cobalt sulfinate, was used primarily in ceramics
>>>>and glassware, and was cheap. It was occasionally used
>>>>as a paint pigment by poor painters, as a replacement
>>>>for true ultramarine.*
>>>>
>>>>BW2: Actually no; Vincent used cobalt blue because he thought it was divine 
>>>>(by comparison, he used ultramarine sparingly), not because he was a "poor 
>>>>painter" (interesting choice of words); and the ultramarine he, and a 
>>>>number of his contemporaries, used was synthetic* ultramarine (as in no 
>>>>ultramarine molecule from Lapis Lazuli); it was a more vivid blue than 
>>>>natural ultramarine, and much easier to come by in the 19th Century (after 
>>>>1828); maybe the confusion could be explained by the fact that something 
>>>>you call "cheap", Vincent called "divine": would I be reaching if I said 
>>>>this is an excellent analogy for your behavior on FFL (just asking); you 
>>>>might consider slowing down on the TV---fact (not your strong suit) and 
>>>>fiction (not a lot stronger) seem to be merging for you; you could ask 
>>>>Arianna Huffington what she thinks.
>>>>
>>>>BW1: The sacrÃÂÃÂÃÂé blue (ultramarine) was made from lapis 
>>>>lazuli, at the time available only in Afghanistan, and 
>>>>this rather scarce. 
>>>>
>>>>BP2: Not synthetic ultramarine. And not to worry, I think we all know where 
>>>>Lapis Lazuli comes from.
>>>>
>>>>BW1: It was more expensive than gold.
>>>>
>>>>BP2: Duh!
>>>>
>>>>BW1: There are at least two Michaelangelo paintings that 
>>>>were left unfinished because he (or his patron) could
>>>>not afford the sacrÃÂÃÂÃÂé bleu necessary to finish them.
>>>>
>>>>BP2: WTF does Michelangelo have to do with van Gogh and cobalt blue, try to 
>>>>keep up Barry. 
>>>>
>>>>BW1: That is the color Chris wrote his novel about.
>>>>
>>>>BP2: So?
>>>>
>>>> BW2: It's just a little detail, 
>>>>
>>>>BP2: Smile
>>>>
>>>>BW1: but I thought I'd throw it
>>>>out as a warning to those who try to turn everything
>>>>into an ego-battle to prove how smart they are, and
>>>>how stupid the people they don't like are. 
>>>>
>>>>BP2: Are we feeling a bit insecure Barry, you shouldn't; it's true I've 
>>>>never thought of you as
>>>>particularly  bright, but I've always been a lot more interested in your 
>>>>emotional intelligence; I find a guy your age behaving the way you do on 
>>>>FFL absolutely fascinating.  
>>>>
>>>>BW1: If you're
>>>>lame enough to waste your life doing petty shit like 
>>>>that, it really helps to get your facts straight 
>>>>*when* doing it. 
>>>>
>>>>BP2: Do you think its a trend?
>>>>
>>>>BW1: Just sayin'...
>>>>
>>>>BP2: you might want to (re) listen to that Martin Amis/Charlie Rose clip I 
>>>>posted about "heard words".
>>>>
>>>>BP2: Of course I could be just making this stuff up, isn't that what Chris 
>>>>did?
>>>>
>>>>PS:
>>>>
>>>>I'm pleased you liked yesterdays exchange between Judy and me so much, not 
>>>>terribly difficult to predict your reactions (smile):
>>>>
>>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YmMNpbFjp0
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>BW1"How do you know, when you think blue--when you say 
>>>>blue--that you are talking about the same blue as 
>>>>anyone else?
>>>>You cannot get a grip on blue.
>>>>Blue is the sky, the sea, a god's eye, a devil's 
>>>>tail, a birth, a strangulation, a virgin's cloak, 
>>>>a monkey's ass. It's a butterfly, a bird, a spicy 
>>>>joke, the saddest song, the brightest day.
>>>>Blue is sly, slick, it slides into the room sideways, 
>>>>a slippery trickster.
>>>>This is a story about the color blue, and like blue, 
>>>>there's nothing true about it. Blue is beauty, not 
>>>>truth. "True Blue" is a ruse, a rhyme; it's there, 
>>>>then it's not. Blue is a deeply sneaky color.
>>>>Even deep blue is shallow.
>>>>Blue is glory and power, a wave, a particle, a 
>>>>vibration, a resonance, a spirit, a passion, a 
>>>>memory, a vanity, a metaphor, a dream.
>>>>Blue is a simile.
>>>>Blue, she is like a woman." 
>>>>- Christopher Moore, from SacrÃÂÃÂÃÂé Bleu: A Comedy d'Art
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb <no_reply@...> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Many thanks for these...uh...musings about "Sacre Bleu,"
>>>>>> which I have not included because quoting is not working
>>>>>> this morning. Especially thanks for that quote from Henri,
>>>>>> which as you suspect was one of the high points of the
>>>>>> novel for me. Clearly, I have an indentification thang
>>>>>> going with artists like Toulouse-Lautrec and the Turquoise
>>>>>> Bee and Hokusai, all of whom celebrated the "floating
>>>>>> world" of brothels and the women who make them possible.
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Chris obviously feels the same way, and his character of
>>>>>> Henri is one of the most delightful I've ever encountered
>>>>>> in literature. He's funny, irreverent, drunk as a skunk
>>>>>> most of the time, raunchy, and just oozes talent and
>>>>>> brilliance from every pore. I had wanted to include some
>>>>>> quotes and some of the dialog from the book in my mini-
>>>>>> review, but my copy of the book is already making the
>>>>>> rounds among the other members of my family. I can hear
>>>>>> the chuckles from here. :-)
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Thanks also for the clips of Chris talking. He's one of
>>>>>> those rare writers who can talk in person nearly as well
>>>>>> as he writes. I've seen him a couple of times at book
>>>>>> signings, and used to have online conversations with him
>>>>>> on his website back when he did more of that, and he is
>>>>>> just a tremendous guy. He's also a complete journeyman
>>>>>> when it comes to writing...no sitting around "waiting for
>>>>>> inspiration" for him...he just writes, every day, until
>>>>>> the book is finished. 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Good luck on your journeys, and I hope you have time to
>>>>>> jot down a few impressions of the places your Road Trip
>>>>>> takes you. It would be good to hear about them.
>>>>>>   




 

Reply via email to