WHICH   INTERNET COMPANY HASN'T GIVEN THE U.S. GOVERNMENT ITS RECORDS?

June 10, 2013

NEW YORK: Outraged Internet users searching for an alternative to the
privacy-busting companies they'd trusted are turning to a company that
provides what it calls, "the world's most private search engines."

StartPage and its sister search engine Ixquick   were launched in 2006
to staunchly defend their users' privacy and civil   liberties.
StartPage provides a private portal to Google results, while   Ixquick
provides private results from other search engines.

The services have not participated in PRISM, nor have they ever
provided user data to the U.S. government or to any other government or
agency in the U.S. or anywhere in the world.

That is more than nine of the biggest Internet companies -- Apple,
Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Facebook, YouTube, PalTalk, AOL and Skype --
can   say.

"The Privacy of our users rests on three important   foundations,"
explains StartPage and Ixquick CEO Robert Beens. "We   are based in the
Netherlands, we use encrypted connections, and -- most   importantly --
we don't store or share any of our users' personal search   data."

    * No User Data Stored: StartPage and Ixquick never store user data,
including IP addresses and search queries, so government agencies have
no incentive to ask for these. This privacy is so complete; the company
doesn't even know who its customers are, so it can't share anything with
Big Brother.

    * Encrypted (HTTPS) Connections: StartPage and Ixquick were the first
search        engines to use automatic encryption on all connections to
prevent        snooping. When searches are encrypted, third parties like
ISPs and the        NSA can't eavesdrop on Internet connections to see
what people are        searching for.

    * Not Under U.S. Jurisdiction: StartPage and Ixquick are based in the
Netherlands, so they are not directly subject to U.S. regulations,
warrants, or court orders. They can't be forced to participate in spying
programs like PRISM. The company has never turned over a single bit of
user data to any government entity in the 14 years it has been in
business, which is not surprising since there is no data in the first
place.

StartPage and Ixquick are also the only search engines whose privacy
practices have been independently verified and third-party certified
<https://www.european-privacy-seal.eu/awarded-seals/de-110022/>  through
the European   Union's Privacy Seal program.

"Unfortunately, it takes a scandal like PRISM to wake people up   to the
erosion of privacy", says Harvard-trained privacy expert Dr.   Katherine
Albrecht, who helped develop StartPage. "As people get fed up   with
being spied on, they look for alternatives. We already serve nearly 3
million private searches each day, and we expect that number to grow as
people   seek shelter from search engines that store and share their
private   information."

The company will expand its privacy services this summer with the
addition of a new private email product called StartMail
<https://www.startmail.com/> .   StartMail will offer a paid, private
email platform with strong encryption.   Anyone interested in beta
testing the program on its release can sign up at www.StartMail.com
<https://www.startmail.com/>

E.U. Contact Person:
Alex van Eesteren