Wow! Hitler had a *skin boy*.

________________________________
 From: "dhamiltony...@yahoo.com" <dhamiltony...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, September 9, 2013 4:12 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] RE: See? Anyone can wear the rosy glasses.

 Yes, beware the color of your glasses.
-Buck
--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
http://www.latimes.com/obituaries/la-me-rochus-misch-20130907,0,7348086.story

Rochus Misch never expressed regret over his wartime service or doubts about
the man he and his comrades called "the boss."

Misch was Adolf Hitler's
bodyguard, messenger and telephone operator. He had tea and cookies with
Hitler's sister in Vienna. He delivered a congratulatory bouquet from
Hitler to a young musician who had just announced his engagement. He was in the
next room of the infamous Berlin bunker when Hitler and Eva Braun, the longtime
mistress who two days earlier
had become the Nazi leader's wife, killed themselves on April 30, 1945.

Misch, the last survivor of the entourage holed up in Hitler's underground
lair, died in Berlin on Thursday. He was 96.

His death was confirmed to
the Associated Press by Burkhard Nachtigall, an author who helped Misch
write his 2008 memoir, "The Last Witness."

In numerous interviews over the years, including a lengthy 2004 oral history
with the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, Misch said he had no knowledge of the
millions of deaths by genocide at Nazi concentration camps.

"I ask you, if Hitler really did all the terrible things people now
say he did, how could he have been our Fuhrer?" Misch said in a 2005
Salon interview. "How is that possible?"

At the war's end, Misch was captured by Russian soldiers invading
Berlin, tortured in prison and sent to work camps in Kazakhstan and
Siberia until his release in 1953. He was never charged with a war
crime. Summoned as a witness to the Nuremberg trials, he was not called
to testify.

A former member of an elite Nazi SS guard, Misch drew outrage from
critics with his nonchalant approval of Hitler decades after the war.

"He is the most unrepentant and unapologetic Hitler supporter you
could ever have the misfortune to meet," a reporter for the London
Sunday Express wrote in 2003.

"It was a good time with Hitler," Misch said in the article, which
was based on a 2 1/2-hour interview. "I enjoyed it and I was proud to
work for him."

Born in what is now Poland on July 29, 1917, Misch was raised by his
grandparents. His soldier father died of a battlefield wound three days
before Misch was born. Three years later, his mother died of pneumonia.
Misch studied painting but in 1937 volunteered for a four-year tour
in the German army, hoping, he later explained, to protect Europe from
the incursions of Stalin. He was shot in the chest during the German
invasion of Poland in 1939.

Impressing his commanding officers, the convalescing Misch won a spot on the
unit that provided Hitler with personal aides and bodyguards.
Recalling his first meeting with Hitler, at the Reich Chancellery, Misch told
the BBC: "I felt cold, then hot. I felt every emotion."

"He wasn't a monster or a superhuman," Misch told the Express in
2011. "He stood across from me like a completely normal man with nice
words."

Misch said accounts of Hitler as an aberrant personality suddenly flying into
rages or plunging into depression never rang true.

When Misch married his wife, Gerda, on New Year's Eve in 1942, Hitler gave him
1,000 marks and 40 bottles of wine. When Gerda became pregnant in 1944, Eva
Braun sent her a baby carriage.

Still, Misch on several occasions came across Hitler in what appeared to be
moments of intense melancholy. Late one night in the German
dictator's living room, Misch saw him in a trance-like state "staring at an oil
painting of Frederick the Great that was flickering in the
candlelight," he told the Express. "I felt like an intruder interrupting
someone in the middle of prayer."

In 1944, Misch witnessed the attempted assassination of Hitler by top generals.
In the Reich's final days the next year, Misch was manning the
bunker's phones when Hitler gathered his remaining staff for goodbyes. A little
while after he and Braun disappeared into his office, someone
discovered their bodies and Misch came running.

"I saw him slumped with his head on the table," he told the BBC. "I
saw Eva on the sofa; her head was next to him, her knees drawn tightly
up to her chest."
Hitler had shot himself and his wife had taken cyanide.

Not long afterward, Magda Goebbels, wife of Nazi propaganda minister
Joseph Goebbels, ushered her six children into the bunker and had a
doctor give them "some kind of sugary drink," Misch told the BBC.

"All of us knew what was going on," he said. "An hour or two later, Mrs.
Goebbels came out crying."

She sat down and played solitaire to calm herself. The next day, she and her
husband committed suicide.

After his release from Russian prisons, Misch ran a decorating store
in Berlin with his wife. They lived just two miles from the site of
Hitler's Fuhrerbunker.

Their daughter, Brigitta Jacobs-Engelken, in 2009 told the BBC a family secret:
Brigitta's mother â Misch's wife, Gerda, who died in 1998 â was Jewish.
"I know it from my grandma," the daughter, an architect in Germany
who worked to restore synagogues, said of the news that Gerda's mother
had shared.

Misch, the good soldier, refused to accept it, his daughter said.