Hmm, I did that in 2009 on Android. ;-)

When the market gets crowded then early adopters can make some scratch on new OS's. There are quite a few apps for the Microsoft phones but people are leery of an MS product. There's also going to be Firefox phones too.

A lot of developers don't know Java but know C++ or C#. Microsoft took a page from their Visual Basic in making .NET which is easy to program. C# is of course their version of Java (J++) they got sued for so changed it. I've found it a bit easier to program than using Android. Using MonoDevelop I can even do Android and iPhone apps in C#.