Salyavin drives by and sez:

> "The veneration of the wise man is a blessing for those
> that venerate him" - Epicurus

Ah, but who defines what constitutes a "wise man?"

If it's the person seeking veneration, I think one
is justified in asking, "What's in it for me? What
*kind* of 'blessing' am *I* likely to get by venerating
you as 'wise?'"

More often than not, the "blessing" in question in
such situations turns out to be becoming a toady or
slave to the supposedly-wise man. In Epicurus' case,
he preached a philosophy of peace and freedom from
fear, the absence of pain, and living a self-
sufficient life surrounded by friends. But he *also*
demanded, while preaching self-sufficiency, that his
followers/students swear an oath of fealty to him,
and only allowed them access to the extremely
hierarchical "levels" of his teaching on the
basis of such oaths.

So where's the "blessing" in this? Seems to me that
the person getting the "blessing" is the person being
venerated (and obeyed) as if they were the "wise man."
Those doing the venerating get...uh...to venerate.
Big whoop.

So color me not convinced of the "wisdom" of Epicurus'
saying about wise men. But he did create a great Web
site and iPhone app, however. I use it often to find
new recipes:

http://www.epicurious.com/ <http://www.epicurious.com/>

:-)