 From: Bhairitu <noozg...@sbcglobal.net>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2013 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Software 'upgrades' as spiritual practice

Of course there is no such thing as a "perfect program" as well as no such
thing as a "perfect programmer" ( though a lot of them think they are).  Stuff
needs updating to get rid of bugs or fix the bugs they shipped with to just to
look good for the stock analysts who will trash them if they don't make their
projected release date.

Then we have that odd creature: the consumer.  They always crave
      something new.  It doesn't matter if the software does everything
      they need they still want "something new" or your competition will
      create "something new" to steal your market.  So companies are
      always tweaking this, adding that to just satisfy that lust.

Strange world we live in, Charlie Brown.

On 09/20/2013 11:47 PM, turquoiseb wrote:

>All of this furor over Neo has reminded me that the world of mobile apps is
>just SO much more spiritual than the world of Web apps. Those who are bitching
>are missing out on this.
>
>Direct Update ("We're going to 'upgrade' your app without
              your permission the instant you log in") is SO much more
              Zen than Voluntary Upgrade ("We have a new version of our
              app...do you want to try it?). The latter invites people
              to dig their heels in, stick with the Old Familiar, and
              resist change. The latter enforces change.

>After all, if you can remember that there was a previous
              version of the app, you're just not Here And Now enough,
              are you?  :-)