Continuing the rap, with music:

> What would you have me do? NOT write about my life?
> That's just what I do. I have picked up this trait from my
> favorite singer/songwriter Bruce Cockburn, and just write
> about my life. He likens it to "scattering breadbrumbs"
> from his life behind him as he walks. He's NOT suggesting
> that anyone *follow* those breadcrumbs; he's just throw-
> ing them out to see if anyone identifies with them and
> can have some fun with them.

Understanding that Bruce is an acquired taste, and that
many, including  are not familiar with his "travelogue"
songs, here are a few to show you what I mean:

How I Spent My Fall Vacation (with odd visuals):
  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJvgVJC7hBo>
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJvgVJC7hBo>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJvgVJC7hBo
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJvgVJC7hBo>

Birmingham Shadows:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11HvFmATeAk
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11HvFmATeAk>

Lily Of The Midnight Sky:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-lPpT97ZG0

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, turquoiseb  wrote:

> [...]
> > and those egos' constant need to dominate and assert its
> > silly "truths" on others fuck up the whole conversation
> > thang for other people. I think it's sad, and saddest for
> > the compulsive arguers themselves. What, after all, is
> > the epitaph they are writing for themselves by living their
> > lives this way? Are they going to be *happy* with the words
> > "She/he won every argument she/he started on the Internet"
> > on their tombstones? What a pathetic waste of life.
> >
> > The larger question would seem to me to be how does one
> > *avoid* such compulsive arguers when one realizes one has
> > encountered them? Is there anything one can do to escape
> > the Argumentation Tar Babies of the world, and avoid getting
> > sucked into the event horizon of their black (very black)
> > holes?
> >
> > I've experimented over the years with Douglas Adams' theory
> > of how to deal with nasty critters. One of the reasons every
> > traveler in "The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy" was told
> > to have a towel on them at all times was as a defense against
> > the Ravenous Bugbladder Beast Of Traal. It had a terrible
> > disposition, and if you encountered it, it would (as a result
> > of its own nature and its own compulsive needs) attempt to
> > rip you to pieces and eat you, just (presumably) to show
> > other RBBT's in the area that it could.
> >
> > So according to Adams, what one should do if one encounters
> > a RBBT is to whip out one's towel and put it over one's own
> > head. The reason is that the RBBT believes that if you can't
> > see it, it can't see you. So the frood standing there in
> > front of it wearing a towel over his or her head becomes
> > effectively invisible.
> >
> > My experience has shown me that this tactic works for *some*
> > compulsive arguers on the Internet. If you just ignore them,
> > and refuse to get sucked into their arguments, sooner or
> > later they move on to other suckers, and try to lure them
> > into the arguments they need so badly. I would guesstimate
> > that this defense works on about 90% of Internet RBBTs.
> >
> > Unfortunately, there's that other 10%. They take the Adams
> > Defense as the ultimate insult, go into vendetta mode, and
> > persist in stalking the potential victim, often for decades.
> >
> > So far -- based on my own experience and that of others who
> > share my view of compulsive arguers on the Internet and what
> > to do about them -- the only solution for dealing with this
> > malignant 10% is just to continue ignoring them and wait
> > for them to die. This defense, although it has its drawbacks,
> > is considered better than actually interacting with the
> > compulsive arguers, because although they may bark and howl
> > and try everything they can to lure you into one of their
> > arguments, if you Just Don't Go There the worst that can
> > happen is that you'll get splashed by a little Ravenous
> > Bugbladder Beast Of Traal drool.
> >

> > Anartaxius opines, and asks for other opinions:
> > >
> > > It is kind of a habit from reading scientific papers. Because
scientists are uncertain, they always use language that waffles, using
words like 'may', or 'perhaps', or 'if'. You may notice I do that rather
frequently. When I listen to politicians, I generally assume something
is going to be lying, for example Obama's recent 'red line'
backtracking. When it comes to politicians in the U.S., Democrats and
Republicans alike are pretty much equal opportunity liars. Maureen
Murphy, an American politician said the reason there were so few femaile
politicians was it was too much trouble to put makeup on two faces.

> > > Frankly, just as you seem to find my comments disingenuous, I find
the way you generally respond to people also disingenuous, mostly
combative. Presumably you are interested in spirituality. Who or what is
being 'insulted'? It is just that inbred pest called the ego. The ego
always has an axe to grind and swing. The ego thinks it is a 'person',
that it has rights, this is our biggest problem in spirituality. It is
more of a process than a thing, it is not an entity. If a person's
identity is pure consciousness, there is no one to be insulted. I am not
saying I cannot take offense or be annoyed etc., but those who repeated
take offense at what the world throws at them are spiritual cretins, and
I hope you are not one of those, but to me you do not speak like a
person who is interested in the spiritual nature of life, and yet, you
are apparently reading about it a lot, and in various kinds of
discussions, but I simply do not see much spiritual depth in what you
say (but it is a relief that you are not constantly saying what a great
life you are leading and how many famous people have crossed your path).

> > > Your method of argumentation does not build, it takes down, much
in the same way Barry's comments in reference to you are a take down.
You two are a strange marriage made in heaven. I say heaven because if
heaven makes people such snipers, it is certainly not such a great place
to be.

> > > From my perspective, you basically engage in the same tactics as
those you oppose. You shift context under the pretense of maintaining
context; you snip relevant parts of arguments declaring them to be
irrelevant. That is how it appears to me. Maybe you do not experience
that you are doing these things at all. When I shift context, it is more
inadvertent, because I really do not care that much about narrowly
defined context. You might try spreading you wings and go off on
tangents once in a while to see what comes up. I find it interesting to
watch moths in flight - they never go in a straight line, in a world of
predators, they deviate from directness. So it is on this thing we call
the Internet, where trolls lie in wait.

> > > I am here being critical of you, whatever that 'you' is for you.
If you would only apply your skills in a more uplifting way, and not be
so critical of people's ineptness, minor mistakes, their opacity, and
have if you had a more relaxed agenda, you would be a brilliant poster
here, but for now, I think you use your skills in a rather dark way, so
that brilliance has a tarnish to it. Your argument style has a strong
polemical element, which is better suited to the political arena, where
lairs lie, than in forums discussing knowledge. It is only when you are
kissing up to someone like Robin that you go a bit squishy. A certain
softness is required when dealing with people except in extreme
circumstances.

> > > Perhaps both are perspectives are distorted. What do others think
of this exchange? We are not always the best judge of our own behaviour.