On 9/21/2013 11:14 AM, Bhairitu wrote:
> The reason I mentioned the 2 XD is from Roku's site it looks
> like they are blowing out the two 720p units...

Did I tell you that the Roku LT is only $40.00?

The 2 XD can also do 720p if needed. They are probably just simplifying their product line. Their top model just just adds a couple more features including games and dual band wifi.

Even 1080p video can be encoded decently at around 3 mpbs. The streaming services like Netflix (which does have some 1080p support) don't do that because they want their encodes to work on older computers and devices so they use a lower profile encode which is why their 720p encode needs 3 mbps.

Also as far as encoding goes there is a new kid (or old kid with new shoes) on the block and that is VP8 which is used in Google's Webm technology and open source. No royalties to pay to MPEG-LA which make MPEG-LA roaring mad. :-D

On 09/20/2013 09:07 PM, Richard J. Williams wrote:

After I cut the cable, I'll be using the savings to get a faster internet
connection, maybe 15 bps with Time-Warner and a Motorola Surfer
modem with wireless N and Gigabyte Ethernet.

Not in a panic about the 720p since that's just on the kitchen TV.
I've got a 40 inch 1080p in the living room. I go for the cheap sets
like ones you can buy at Walmart or Target in the $200-400 dollar
range.

One guy I know, whose wife makes $150,00 a year, got a 70 inch
for his breakfast nook - he likes to sit on a bar stool at a counter in
the kitchen and drink coffee, surf the net, read the papers, and he
watches Fox News - all at the same time. Go figure.

On 9/20/2013 3:39 PM, Bhairitu wrote:

The LT? It's only 720p. Plus they are selling their 2 XD which does 1080p for about the same price online. Well maybe your TV only does 720p. I can't use one of these with my set because it is a 13 year old HD RPTV. I only does 1080i and my HTML to component converter can't convert 1080p to 1080i. My BD player has a 1080i out option on HDMI so it works with the converter.

I was looking at a Roku because there have the largest number of streaming services. So that would also be a new TV (at less than 1/4 of what I paid for the old one) and a new AV receiver (because mine doesn't handle DD+).

Also you forgot to mention the PPV services for those movies that won't be showing up on Netflix any time soon and also how to watch some of those cable network shows. VUDU and Amazon Instant are a couple of those.

Can't do an antenna because I live in a valley so there is no OTA reception. If I go up the hill to Starbucks I get ALL the Sacramento stations and the one Spanish station on Mt. Diablo on a Hauppauge MicroTV USB stick hooked up to my laptop.

Cutting the cable the savings would be enough to pay for the upgrade of gear in 8 months.

On 09/20/2013 12:12 PM, punditster wrote:

Have you ever wanted to cut the cable? The cable TV cable that is.
I sure want to - between Time-Warner and AT&T I'm getting
out of that loop!

So, I went to the Shack and bought some digital, powered antennas
for my TV sets to pull in my local channels in HD - ABC, CBS, NBC,
and CW.

Then I bought a Roku box for the kitchen; a WD Live for the living
room; a smart BD for the bedroom; and a Chromecast for the home
office.

Roku LT:

That way, I can tune in to Amazon, YouTube, Netflix, Pandora,
Fox News and Hulu.

Outside of our internet connection (need 2MBPS or more) which
we already had in place, our total internet video monthly fees are
$12.95 for NetFlix and $8.95 for Hulu Plus.

Soon, real soon, right after the last episod of Breaking Bad, I'm
going to cut the cable and save $150 a month.

Now that's better!

Read more:

'Roku Rocks with NetFlix and Playon'
Amazon Review: