Card:
> I'm just a simple wanna-be-linguist, not a philosopher

You do have a predilection for linguists. I'm still trying to learn English grammar -
do you know how to diagram a simple sentence?

I'm am trying to learn Urdu and Hindi at a local community college from Professor Adul using an Urdu phrase book I got at Barnes &Noble. I told Rita to get me one of those 'Rosetta Stones', but they didn't have one for conversational Urdu.

Go figure.

The first thing you got to do is learn the ABC's, and then practice some phrases:

Hello/Goodbye
namaste (Hindi)
namaskar

Hello
adab (Urdu)

Goodbye
kuda hafiz

Mr
Sri (Hindi)

Sahib (Urdu)

Mrs (Hindi)
Sri

Sahiba (Urdu)

How much?
kiraya kitna hai (Hindi)

I'll just watch thanks.
mai sirf dekhuga

No I'm not going to India.
ji nahi, mai bharat mahi jaugi (Hindi)

to throw pearls before the swine
bhais ke age bin bajana (Hindi)

According to what I've read, Hindi is conventionally written in the Devangiri script which gradually evolved in north India from Vedic times. The same script is used to write Sanskrit, Nepali and Marathi. It's also similar to scripts that are used to write Urdu, Bengali, Assamese, Gujarati and Punjabi. The Devangiri script is written left to right.

Apparently in a comparatively small number of words both ai and au may be pronounced
as dipthongs. Go figure.

P.S. How's Mullquest?

Notes:

The term 'wallah' is an extremely useful adjectival suffix - walla - in both Hindi and Urdu means 'that fellow' or 'the fellow who does that', e.g. 'Tat Wallah Baba', or 'The fellow of
the Tat' (transcendenatal absolute) or 'That bright fellow from Tejas'. LoL!

predilection:

noun

plural noun: predilections

1. a preference or special liking for something; a bias in favor of something.
"my predilection for Asian food"

synonyms: liking, fondness, preference, partiality, taste, penchant, weakness, soft spot, fancy, inclination, leaning, bias, propensity, bent, proclivity, predisposition, appetite

"a predilection for shellfish"

antonyms: dislike

https://www.google.com/search/predliction <https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=predliction&oq=predliction&gs_l=hp.3..0i10l10.1972.1972.0.4846.1.1.0.0.0.0.296.296.2-1.1.0....0...1c.1.27.hp..0.1.285.ASJJaOsJ3zI>

On 9/24/2013 1:16 AM, cardemais...@yahoo.com wrote:

I have nothing to add. I'm just a simple wanna-be-linguist, not a philosopher...

    <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

    Card writes:

        > This is really "funny"?
        >
        > I'll try to explain it as best as I can...
        >
        > When Moses asks what the name of the Burning Bush is, He replies
        >
        > ehyee asher ehyee  (I shall be what I shall be: I am what I am).

    Sounds like the right translation to me...   :-)

http://de-motivational-posters.com/images/burning-bush-bible-belt-all-the-way.jpg

    Thank God that woman is wearing asbestos underwear.

    funny de motivational poster: Burning Bush - Bible belt all the way.