Akasha:

> > For example, is the experience of "no I" both a
> > necessary and
> > sufficent criteria. Is constant foreground PC a
> > sufficnet criteria for
> > CC? Is absence of anger (per many scriptural
> > references) a necessary
> > criteria?

Peter:
> Of course I am from the no "I" school (now if that
> isn't a paradoxical statement). Any trace of "I" would
> indicate an "observing" ego and be indicative of
> avidya, not realization. Realization is not an
> experience. It is not within the domain of either
> subjective or objective experience. It is not of the
> mind. Ego can have no relationship with consciousness.
>
> Ego is created as pure consciousness
> collapses/projects and identifies with a time and
> space bound experience. The discussion becomes
> confusing because in avidya there is a confound
> between consciousness and ego: people think that ego
> is consciousness. It's not. Okay, I'm done for now!

Such discussions are of interest. Not for the sake of E or coming to
some consensus of views, and not to better seek E.

Its interesting to me to understand what people mean when they
introduce and use the E term, or talk authoritatively about it.
Knowing the profusion of meanings and POVs about E, asking about their
views can be a facinating tour on how peoples minds work, how their
interpretative frameworks function, etc.

And such discussions can stimulate thinking on peripheral insights not
so connected to the E topic -- or on specific experiences.

As a preface, some assume, incorretly,  that when I ask such quesions
about E, that I am "seeking E". And based on this presumptions, they
focus the discussion on all sorts of unsolicited and off target advice
on what I am doing wrong in seeking E. So this preamble is a
pre-emptive attempt to help keep the conversation more focussed.

So, Peter, this is all in fun. Not that I am taking your views
lightly, but its not a challenge to your views or an attempt to
discredit them. Rather to understand them and compare and contrast
them with other views. To generate common understanding, and clearer
terminology. And to spark insights -- which may not be related to the
topic but more a result of the exercise itself.

-----
To start, please forgive the awkwardness of words, and if possible,
lets try to focus on probably intended meanings, not inevitable
constraints of english syntax to express this topic. Unless it
clarifies or illustrates a good point.

To clarify, is your view then that "no-I" is both necessary and
sufficient for E? You make the case that it is necessary. So the issue
is, is it sufficinet?

If so, how do you view PC awareness (PCA)? If "no-I" is sufficent,
then logically, PC awareness is not necessary.

Or do you hold that the experience  (hold the issues about this word
until the below point on this topic) or state of "no-I" is the other
side of the same coin as PC awareness?  That is, do you view PC
awareness as a necessary compliment or outcome of "no-I"?

Or is it sequential. First "no-I" then PCA? For example SSRS says
something to the effect of "empty the glass first, then let it fill
with the light of (the divine, PC ...)"

Or perhaps do you view PCA as a precursor / cleanser necessary for
"no-I" but is not E, by itself.  That is, it is not a sufficient
criteria for E.

" Any trace of "I" would indicate an "observing" ego and be indicative
of  avidya, not realization. " While your point is understood, I
assume you recognize a still remaining social self that interacts with
others. Is that so?

Some hold the social self is just another entity out there, sort of
parallel to other people. Do you share that view? Or have other views?

"Realization is not an experience." Semantics and english syntax can
be a communications hurddle. Some use the term "experience" to
contrast it with "intellectual understanding". Still, experience can
imply a subject and object, which is outside the domzin of E as most
refer to it. Is that your issue with the term "esperience"?

Do you  make the same distinction that "experience" attempts to, in
distinguishing E from a solely intellectual understanding?

In your view, is "state" a better category, while still imperfect, to
use for E?

"It is not within the domain of either  subjective or objective
experience." Some describe it as "pure subjectivity", presumably the
"pure" designates a distinction from "manifest subjectivity" expressed
by the social self. Is this consistent with your understanding, or do
you hold that there is  not even any "pure subjectivity" in E?

"It is not of the mind. Ego can have no relationship with
consciousness." Something can exist, yet have no relationship with
"something else". For example, a mountian, or a social self can exist
wtih no relationship to Pure Consciousness (PC). Could ego have a
similar non-relationship with PC? Or do you hold ego must be
annhilated for E?

Some hold the experience of PC being in background then switching to
foreground, and back, similar to the visual forground/background
illustrations used in most introductory psychology classes. How does
such an experience fit into your spiritual world view?

If the ego is annhilalated, does the social self suffer becaude it has
no ego structure?

If so, how does this mesh with pchycho-analytic theory in which, per
my understanding, a strong ego structure (not egoism or egoistic
behavior" is necessary for psychological health?
Some analysts feel a healthy ego structure is even necessary for
anyone starting a spiritual sadhana. What is your view on that?

"Ego is created as pure consciousness collapses/projects and
identifies with a time and space bound experience." While the world is
maintained along with PC in E, why then can't PC be maintained
similtaneously with a manifestation of individuality, aka  ego, in the
social self?

"The discussion becomes confusing because in avidya ... " Do you hold
that avidya to vidya is a black and white, dichotomous type,  on/off
transformation. All darkness suddenly becomes all light?

" there is  a confound between consciousness and ego: people think
that ego is consciousness. It's not." Do you mean people with no
sadhana experience, or no naturally occuring spiritual transformations?

Many experience that the transformation of avidya to vidya is not  a
black and white event, but a flowering over time. In that transition,
many experience long periods of PC, a breaking of the link of identity
with the social self, a non-doing, etc. This can happen from the
beginning of a sadhana  practice. In this transition, for many, ego is
clearly seen as distinct from consciousness, at least for sustained
periods. Do you still feel that is an unsurmountable "confound"
between ego and consciousness in such people?

Some scriptures record criteria for E. While I am not claiming that
these are authoratative, they can serve as an interesting set of
hypotheses to be looked at or potential benchmarks to be examined. Do
you feel such scriptures have any value in terms of clarifying the
attributes for those experiencing transformation? Did you find any
scriptures useful?

Some scriptures talk about E in terms of equinimity of the inner
person, where anger cannot arise? Is this consistent with your experience?

Same with celibacy. Scriptures allude to it occuring at some point in
sadhana. SSRS says at some stage it "celibacy happens". Its not a
practice. But at some point the energy shifts and sex is no longer a
desired practice. But the "joy" of sexual energy is even more
intensely experienced, but in higher functions. As I understand it,
Amma says a similar thing. Does this correspond to your experience?

Some hold that seeking E is counter productive. That it reinforces a
longing, a chain of desires, a sense of insufficiency in the present,
etc. Was this your experience?