--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, tazarmfune <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <SNIP>
> > > Hmmm. Must've missed that part. It DID say that yogic flying
> was an
> > obstacle
> > > of Cosmic Consciousness (Skt.: turiyatita).
> >
> > Where exactly did it say that?
>

> The Yoga Sutras say (somewhere) that powers are an "obstacle"
> to Samadhi. I heard that MMY comment that the translation was
> simply bad. Since the experience of Samadhi is the very basis of
> the siddhis, how can they be an obstacle to Samadhi?

***************

The Siddhis may be an obstacle to enlightenment for the same reason
that wealth may be an obstacle (really, the word distraction is a
better fit than obstacle) to enlightenment ("it is harder for a rich
man to enter the kingdom of heaven within than for a camel to enter
the eye of a needle," and so on). Rich people have all sorts of
options in the material world to distract them from enjoying the only
real durable bliss, that bliss of consciousness found through sitting
down quietly and diving inside with TM. Similarly, if people could
immediately fly upon doing the sutra, they might spend all their time
traveling throughout the universe, and not spend time in TM.

However, people's nervous systems in the Kaliyuga are so twisted, and
consequently, the atmosphere is so poisoned now that it will not be
permit people to be happy, so TM's yogic flyers (who are only found
hopping after 30 years of practice) only experience a boost in
purification of the nervous system which supports the growth of
enlightenment instead of running the risk of Siddhas going off on some
on some side track for a lark, and missing the best fun of all, living
full awareness.

Bob Brigante
http://geocities.com/bbrigante/spiritual.html