Sorry, forgot to post the url for rotten tomatoes on The Straight Story. Senior
moment (-:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/straight_story/

________________________________
 From: "s3raph...@yahoo.com" <s3raph...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, October 4, 2013 9:36 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] RE: Charlie Lutes and David Lynch

Re "Have you considered the possibility that Lynch's films aren't really
"about" ANYTHING?":
Indeed, I've been driven to the same conclusion. The first time I saw Lost
Highway I was quite taken by its shifting moods and flashy exterior; the second
(and last) time I just thought that Lynch was taking the piss and found it
pretty tiresome. If you're going to construct a movie that mimics a detective
story but then can't tie up all the loose ends it's just a glorified shaggy dog
story.

I still like Mulholland Drive though and I really enjoyed Inland Empire. The
last one I saw on DVD and split the viewing over two evenings. I'd hate to have
had to sit through 180 minutes at a cinema.

---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, <no_re...@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

s3raphita sez:

>> When I first watched Mulholland Drive I enjoyed the
>> whole surreal, glossy surface but couldn't make head
>> or tail of what the movie was about (ditto Lost
>> Highway, etc. ).
>
>Have you considered the possibility that Lynch's
films aren't really "about" ANYTHING?

Certainly a number of critics (many of them French,
who otherwise tend to adore Lynch because they have
a tendency to adore *anything* pretentious that they
can't understand) have considered this and discussed
it. I agree with them. I don't think Lynch *does*
have anything he's "trying to say" in his movies.
I think he's just filming dream images (in his case
nightmare images) that *he* doesn't understand, either.

In other words, I think Lynch's films exemplify the
same solipsism and narcissism that we see in so many
other long-term TMers. "If it's happening in my
head, it must be important and meaningful."