Are you sure about that? Maybe the phones drop their calls when they realize
the phone's owner is walking around in a building with a south facing entrance.

________________________________
 From: "j_alexander_stan...@yahoo.com" <j_alexander_stan...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, October 5, 2013 7:10 PM
Subject: RE: Re: [FairfieldLife] BlackBerry?

One major caveat: before buying a GSM phone, make sure there is good enough
service from GSM carriers in the area where the phone will be used. In
Fairfield, GSM networks suck, like phones not being able to make or receive
calls in certain buildings, dropped calls, and huge swaths of rural Iowa with
no coverage at all. I'm with US Cellular, which is CDMA, and they have blanket
coverage over the entire region; they've also had 4G out here for about a year
already.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

BlackBerry was popular among the business class who are usually pretty tech
illiterate.  It did go over so well with the consumer class especially
millennials who want to replace their  PCs and Macs with smart phones.

Tips for smart phone  purchasers.  Get a service that has GSM not
      CDMA.  The latter is hardwired into your phone.  This makes it
      about impossible to sell no contract phones.  GSM uses SIM cards.
      In other countries people might even have prepay plans from two or
      more services and switch out the SiM cards as needed.  In the US
      AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM as well as some other regional and
      local carriers.  Verizon and Sprint use CDMA.

The advantage of a GSM phone is you can buy it anywhere.  I paid
      $350 for my Google Nexus phone last year (which BTW the current
      comparable version is only $200) direct from Google.  I signed on
      for the T-Mobile $30 a month prepay and simply put their SIM card
      in the phone.  Under contract where you might pay $100 for the
      phone they would list it as a $600 phone which of course is
      marketing BS.  My neighbor just bought a new Android phone from
      Sprint and was pissed she had to pay the full retail sales tax
      (another catch 22).  With contract phones you more than pay the
      price if you had bought it off contract.  BTW, carriers in  most
      other countries don't do contract phones.