 From: "s3raph...@yahoo.com" <s3raph...@yahoo.com>
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 9:42 AM
Subject: [FairfieldLife] The power nap: an alternative to TM?

A power nap is a short sleep which terminates before the occurrence of deep
sleep or slow-wave sleep, intended to quickly revitalize the subject.
Various durations are recommended for power naps, which are very short compared
to regular sleep. The short duration of a power nap is designed to prevent
nappers from sleeping so long that they enter a normal sleep cycle without
being able to complete it. Going beyond sleep stages I and II but failing to
complete a full sleep cycle, can result in a phenomenon known as sleep inertia,
where one feels groggy, disoriented, and even more sleepy than before beginning
the nap. Brief naps (10–15 minutes) can improve alertness directly after
awakening.
Scientific experiments and anecdotal evidence suggest that an average power nap
duration of around 30 minutes is most effective. Any more time, and the body
enters into its usual sleep cycle. People who regularly take power naps may
develop a good idea of what duration works best for them, as well as what
tools, environment, position, and associated factors help induce the best
results. Mitsuo Hayashi and Tadao Hori have demonstrated that a nap improves
mental performance even after a full night's sleep.
Power naps of less than 30 minutes—even those as brief as 6 and 10
minutes—restore wakefulness and promote performance and learning.
(Copied from Wiki)