Right... bumper to bumper from Austin to San Antonio.....85 MPH!

From: Richard Williams <pundits...@gmail.com>
To: Richard J. Williams <FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2013 8:10 PM
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Public Transportation

This is what I mean when I say get out of town quick:

http://www.vosizneias.com/113118/2012/09/06/austin-tx-texas-to-open-fastest-us-highway-with-85-mph-limit/

My Project Car:

http://www.rwilliams.us/cad/index.htm

1995 Cadillac Eldorado inherited from my late mother. I couldn't get anything
for it, so I started to use it as a daily driver several years ago. It's a
sweet ride - 22 mpg on Premium fuel. I'm sure it would do 100 easy, with the 32
valve V8 under the hood. I'll probably put it on Craig's List when I do the
downshifting.
On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Share Long <sharelon...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I drive to the Dome in my 2006 Honda Civic which was #1 in its class that
>year. She has manual transmission, a sunroof and no GPS, all at my request (-:
>Hmmm, in the movies, such limos have well stocked refrigerators...
>
>On Saturday, October 12, 2013 2:17 PM, Richard Williams <pundits...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>

>Do you take the bike or ride in the car to get to the dome?
>

>On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Share Long <sharelon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Very colorful, Richard. FF could definitely use something like that to
>>continue its efforts in becoming a tourist destination. But I like your car
>>too.
>>
>>On Saturday, October 12, 2013 1:56 PM, Richard Williams
>><pundits...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>Last week I rode downtown on one of these:
>>

>>On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Share Long <sharelon...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>About 50 years ago, I traveled from Frostburg, MD in the mountains to DC
>>>Union Station. Lots of trees at the beginning. Lots of govt buildings at the
>>>end. But Union Station is quite beautiful as are some other parts of DC.
>>>

>>>The passenger trains traveling east that go through FF end up in Chicago.
>>>They are not reliable time-wise so if one has a plane to catch out of
>>>O'Hara, it's better to take the bus. And at least the bus stops in FF. The
>>>closest train stops are 30 minutes away, Ottumwa to the west and Mt.
>>>Pleasant to the east. Friends have taken that train, the California Zephyr,
>>>to Denver, and then all the way to the Pacific Northwest. I think it's an
>>>all night journey. I don't think it's the Orient Express!
>>>
>>>On Saturday, October 12, 2013 11:50 AM, Bhairitu <noozg...@sbcglobal.net>
>>>wrote:
>>>

>>>We have an Amtrak station here.  I looked into traveling up to Seattle that
>>>way but it was actually more expensive than taking a plane.  When I was a
>>>kid I traveled from here back up to Portland on a train.  I would bet the
>>>route has not changed much.  I got to see a lot of fir trees.On 10/12/2013

 on weekends when downtown is like a ghost town.America is carville.  The car
manufacturers wanted it that way.  It is also spread out.  And California has a
lot weird and winding roads probably drawn up with it was part of Mexico.  Not
too easy to do mass transit with those.On 10/11/2013 11:19 PM, turquoiseb wrote:

> [...]
 city.And even if you have a car, on most routes you can get there faster
onpublic transportation. Also, *when* you get there, you don't have toworry
about finding a place to park your car. Parking spaces in Parisare so rare as
to be increasingly considered mythical.So it's a no-brainer here -- if you have
an important business meetingor a romantic date across town and you want to get
there on time -- todecide whether you should drive your car or take public
transportation.You just hop on the Metro. They're very reliable, and they'll
get youthere on time.I've never had a car when living in Paris, and don't see
the need ofhaving one now. Back home in the Netherlands, I have a car but it
hassat unused for months now. Public transportation is just so much
moreconvenient, and in the long run, cheaper.But those are just the pragmatic
reasons for preferring publictransportation, at least in Europe. The more
important reason for me isthat it's more FUN. I am
 endlessly fascinated by people, of every class,so riding the buses and trains
and Metros that constitute publictransportation in France and the Netherlands
provides me with anever-ending canvas of great people to watch.The buses and
Metros of Paris are like a genetic and cultural frog in ablender. Given the
number of immigrants in the past few decades, Paristoday looks like Casablanca
did when I was growing up there. The faces Isee are a mix of French and North
African, with growing numbers of blackAfricans, Muslims from places other than
North Africa, and Asians. Parisis a cultural zoo. Add to that the cross-class
nature of Paris publictransit, and you've got a zoo worth savoring. I sometimes
feel as if Ishould be sitting there with a container of popcorn in my lap, it's
somuch like a movie.You learn so much.There are still young people in the world
who get up and give theirseats to an older person. There are street toughs
whose style is to looklike
 they're ready to kill you, but who leap across a Metro car to blockthe subway
doors closing on a hapless fellow commuter. There areremarkable acts of both
kindness (common) and rudeness (rare). There areoccasional dramas, and even the
occasional cops-and-robbers flick assome pickpocket runs down the Metro
platform, pursued by the gendarmes.These are straight out of early Truffaut
movies, so much so that I findmyself looking around to discover where the
cameras are placed.And there are the *visuals* of the Metro, ferchrissakes.
Some of theMetro stops are nothing short of stunning, architecturally, even
thenow-aging ones. For examples of that, rent "Amelie" and watch it
again.Jeunet's shots of the Metro stations and train stations of Paris
arejaw-droppingly beautiful. Yes, they're color-enhanced, but IMO that'sjust
him presenting the visuals of Paris to others the way *he* seesthem. All
glow-y, full of light, full of life.I see them the same way. Although
 my Day Job may from time to time getboring, my commutes to and from work never
do. I've only seen a coupleof movies in the theater since I've been working
here, and part of thereason is that I sit through two movies every day on the
way to and fromwork. I don't need to pay 10 Euros or more to see one in a
theater.Although I do occasionally miss the popcorn; there are dismayingly
fewpopcorn vendors in the Paris Metro system.Anyway, that's just what I felt
like rapping about this evening. Whatabout the rest of you? We've got posters
here from all over the world.When you're "at home," wherever that is, do you
tend to drive or takeadvantage of public transportation? If the latter, are any
of you weirdenough to appreciate it the way I do?