Everyone knows that the Adi Shankaracharya was an exponent of the Kevala
Advaita philosophy; Ramanuja of the Visishtadvaita; Madhvacharya of the
Dvaita; Vallabhacharya of the Suddhadvaita; and Nimbarkacharya of the
Dvaitadvaita. Be that as it may, it might be useful if we review the terms
sampradaya and parampara. Sometimes people get confused between the terms
'parampara' and 'sampradaya'.

The first term would be applied to SBS who was in an unbroken line of
succession from the Adi Shankaracharaya through Swami Krishnanda Saraswati.
However, this term, 'parampara', wouldn't be applied to MMY, since he was
not in the direct line of succession in the Shankaracharya tradition - MMY
 was of the illustrious line of Yogis..

The term 'sampradaya' would be more accurate - that terms refers to the
'tradition' to which MMY adheres or identifies with.

So, I'd say that MMY would more correctly be identified with the Mantra
Yoga tradition. Anyone can become a teacher in any tradition they choose.
Although MMY may not have been a 'guru' in the 'parampara' of
Shankaracharaya, he was a teacher in the Mantra Yoga tradition.

"The Sanskrit word literally means an uninterrupted series or
succession..."

Parampara:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parampara

"...by receiving an initiation (diksha) into a parampara of a living guru,
one belongs to its proper sampradaya."

Sampradaya:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampradaya