--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rory Goff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, TurquoiseB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > It's interesting how "rape" is cognate with "rapture," and too
> > > how the self can see the "rapture" of the Self as a "rape,"
> > > and "therapist" as "the rapist."
> >
> > It would be fascinating if it weren't so scary.
> > A self so terrified of losing itself that it
> > sees Self as attempted rape.
>
> Well, it's just another story -- one I can certainly relate and
> relate to, as it has seemed that way to me sometimes :-)

I guess I was fortunate, in that none of the experiences
in my life of self dropping away and leaving only Self have
had the least bit of dread or resistance associated with
them.  Interestingly enough, it was the same with acid,
back in my hippie days.  Everyone I knew had at least
one "bummer," in which the fear of losing self became so
predominant that the person "freaked out."  Me, for what-
ever reason, I just went with it and had great unity exper-
iences.  Go figure.

All this brou-ha-ha (ha ha) has made me remember a great
rap by the Rama fellow I studied with, dealing with this
same subject:

"At the border of nirvana there's a crossing.  And
when you reach the border of nirvana, someone will
come up to you and inform you that if you enter into
nirvana everything that you've ever loved will be
lost.  You will be alone.  There will be the most
terrible aloneness that you can imagine.  You will
be alienated from everything, including yourself,
forever.  A sense of drifting in a cold, desolate
space forever.

"At that moment, O nobly-born, all the images from
all of your lives will come forward and will demand
your attention. They will say, 'Don't cross over there.
You will lose us and you will be sorrowful and empty
and void.'

"If you listen to what that fellow at the border
tells you, then you won't cross over.  You'll go
back to all the things that have bound you and
limited you also.  You'll go back to both because
in the world of duality you have the pairs of
opposites.

"If you listen to me, which no one does, fortunately,
I would suggest that it's not like that at all.
That when that fellow comes up to you and warns you
against crossing the border, you'll say, 'Listen,
several lifetimes ago I read one of Rama's books and
while he very rarely says anything of any value
whatsoever, there was one point he made which I put
on a 3x5 file card which I happen to have in my back
pocket.  And I was going to review it because he said
I'd run into you. I didn't actually believe it at the
time but now that I've run into you I just happen to
have this file card tucked away here and I'd like
to examine it for a moment, if you don't mind.'

"And of course he'll say, 'We don't have time, the
worlds are turning, existence is manifesting...'
And you'll say, 'Just a minute!'

You'll take out your faded 3x5 file card, it's a few
lifetimes old -- actually, it would be better if you
had a plastic one which you had laser engraved, because
as we all know plastic lasts forever -- and it says,
'DON'T LISTEN.'  Hopefully, it will be in the right
language.

"Don't listen because in nirvana it's not like that.
It's not empty or cold or barren.  You don't remember
that the ecstasy and completion of absorption in God
is so fantastic that you can't possibly have lost
anything because all the things you've always loved
and always experienced came forth from there and exist
there and are always there."