So lovely...and how I wish that salyavin is lurking and will stumble onto this!

On Wednesday, October 16, 2013 6:41 PM, "authfri...@yahoo.com"
<authfri...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Embracing the void
The ancients had gods and pyramids to tame the sky's mystery. We have Star
Axis, a masterpiece forty years in the making
By Ross Andersen

Another terrific essay from Aeon magazine, about "a massive work of land art, a
naked-eye observatory called Star Axis....a ‘perceptual instrument’...meant to
offer an ‘intimate experience’ of how ‘the Earth’s environment extends into the
space of the stars’."

The descriptions of the author's visit to the site are wonderful, but he also
takes some absorbing excursions into the history of astronomy and the
psychology of our fascination with the night sky. For example:

"‘One may try to look at the sky,’ the scholar of ancient philosophy Thomas
McEvilley once wrote, ‘but in fact one looks through it ... for no matter how
deeply one sees into the sky, there is always an infinite depth remaining.’
When we peer into the sky’s abyssal recesses, its blank blues and deep starlit
voids, we catch a glimpse of infinity, and, as McEvilley says, ‘the finite mind
has difficulty processing infinity.’ The psychology of this phenomenon was
described best by Pascal, the 17th-century mathematician who said the starry
sky made him think of time’s crushing enormity. It made him see that human life
is a microsecond, beset by two eternities, past and future. ‘The eternal
silence of these infinite spaces frightens me,’ he said. And who can blame him?
To look at the sky is to be reminded that oceans of space and time lie beyond
the reach of our minds. Who can help but feel small under it? By showing us the
true scope of
 the unknown, the sky forces us to confront the mysterious nature of human
experience. It puts us face to face with the most basic of truths — that we are
all, in some sense, existentially adrift."

Read more:

http://www.aeonmagazine.com/nature-and-cosmos/star-axis-is-a-profound-meditation-on-the-sky

The site on Google Maps:

http://goo.gl/maps/NYCBQ