Richard can you give more detail about how these two systems view maya? Maybe
it'll help me stay out of the rabbit hole!

On Friday, October 18, 2013 9:12 AM, Richard J. Williams <pundits...@gmail.com>
wrote:

MMY had a fondness for the Kashmere Trika philosophy - I guess that's why he
and students visited the Swami Laksmanjoo up in Kashmere on 1968 TTC. Kashmere
Saivism is an absolute idealism, just like Adwaita Vedanta. The main difference
is the interpretation given to the term 'maya'.

Swami Laksmanjoo and Swami Mulktananda used to teach Adwaita
      Vedanta and Kashmere Saivism to their students. There's not much
      difference between the two traditions, which are both forms of
      monism.

Kashmere Trika is a non-dual metaphysical system called 'Trika'.
      In Sanskrit, the term 'trika' pertains to number, '3', the three,
      or trinity. There are three states of consciousness, waking,
      sleeping, and dreaming; there is a fourth state, a state of pure
      consciousness, a transcendental state called 'turiya'.

Turiya in Sanskrit means 'fourth', used in the Adwaita Vedanta to
      indicate the fourth state of consciousness, explained in Mandukhya
      Upanishad:

"In both deep sleep and transcendental consciousness there is no
      consciousness of objects. But this objective consciousness is
      present in an unmanifest 'seed' form in deep sleep while it is
      completely transcended in the turiya."

Mandukya Upanishad:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandukya_Upanishad

On 10/18/2013 12:43 AM, cardemais...@yahoo.com wrote:

>empty et al:

Did Maharishi state something like (paraphrase): the basic state of
consciousness is