Which war?  Om, you know that one that freed the slaves and brought more equal
rights to all those people.

 Yep, and brass music like
http://1stbrigadeband.org/website/audio/13Cavalry.mp3
http://1stbrigadeband.org/website/audio/13Cavalry.mp3
 http://www.1stbrigadeband.org/website/audio/9CruelWar.mp3
http://www.1stbrigadeband.org/website/audio/9CruelWar.mp3

 Having a war horse is an amazing and special thing.  Taking a horse in to war
is an incredible thing to ask.  Not just any horse can do it.  Occasionally a
horse comes along that has a head and heart for the soldiering.  When you get a
good horse trained up to it as a seasoned campaigner veteran is particularly
special.  To the point where they even know the evolution of the drill;
http://www.icelandichorse.info/cavalrydrillsheet.html
http://www.icelandichorse.info/cavalrydrillsheet.html

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 Buck wrote:
 (snip)
 > I always like the fife and drum of our revolutionary war and the Sousa kinds
 > of
 > brass and drums of the war of the rebellion.

 Which "war of the rebellion" would that be? Sousa was born in 1854.

 (I'm a huge Sousa fan myself. "Stars and Stripes Forever" just makes me swoon
with its wonderful in-your-face American brashness.)

 I enjoyed the rest of your post. Fortunately you haven't had to kill anybody.

 They quicken my step and lift my heart. I spent a lot of life on picket in the
cavalry on horse. Been a lot of places, ridden a lot of battle lines and been
in a lot of battle lines. Slept out on the ground a lot with my feet to a fire
and with my horse's reins tied to my hand. Been rained on and snowed on in the
saddle a lot. I have marveled at the Swiss mountain troops with their guns at
home, troops with their mountain horses kept on call at home, I've walked their
tank traps across their frontiers. I flew out once over our National Cemetery
at Luxembourg that Patton layed out but never got to tour much else in Europe
other than finding the Michelangelo Pietas around Italy one time after an ATR
course with Maharishi. Made it to the Sistine. That leaning tower. Other than
that I have not been off the farm much. I have ridden my horse in the sunken
lanes at both Antietem and Frederickberg. Ridden the battle line at Gettysburg.
Ridden Jockey Hollow with Washington and Valley Forge too. I was in saddle at
the battle line at Prairie Grove. Rode the length of the battle line that Lyon
laid out at Wilson's Creek. Rode up telegraph road and the heights at Pea
Ridge. Was in the charge of Elkhorn Tavern. Screened the horse drawn artillery
at Carthage. Cross the river at Athens and supported the charge there. In the
saddle at Perryville. Been on some bunch of long scouts in force. The retreat
of the army at Brice's Cross roads. A couple of my best war horses are gone
now. I got one left that has been with me everywhere. He's seen everything.

 Sunday evening and time now to go sing old hymns,
 -Buck in time of Peace right now