Re the plumber who wrote the books on Tibetan lama culture: he did not deny
that he had been born as Cyril Hoskin, but he claimed that his body was now
occupied by the spirit of Lobsang Rampa.
 From Wiki I extract this passage:
 American tibetologist Donald S. Lopez, Jr., in Prisoners of Shangri-La –
Tibetan Buddhism and the West (1998), points out that when discussing Rampa
with other tibetologists and buddhologists in Europe, he found that The Third
Eye was the first book many of them had read about Tibet; "For some it was a
fascination with the world Rampa described that had led them to become
professional scholars of Tibet." Lopez adds that when he gave The Third Eye to
a class of his at the University of Michigan without telling them about its
history, the "students were unanimous in their praise of the book, and despite
six prior weeks of lectures and readings on Tibetan history and religion, [...]
they found it entirely credible and compelling, judging it more realistic than
anything they had previously read about Tibet."

---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, <s3raphita@...> wrote:

 Excellent! That brings me right back to my childhood when, here in the UK, a
series of books appeared - and were very popular - supposedly written by
"Lobsang Rampa". The first book was called The Third Eye and purported to
relate his experiences while growing up in Tibet. The title of the book is
derived from an operation, similar to trepanation, that Rampa claimed he had,
in which a small hole was drilled into his forehead to arouse the third eye and
allow stronger powers of clairvoyance.

 The author of the book was, in real life, a man named Cyril Henry Hoskin, who
had been born in Plympton, Devon, in 1910 and was the son of a plumber. Hoskin
had never been to Tibet and spoke no Tibetan.

 How curious that his fantasies actually had a correspondence in actual Tibetan
beliefs.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

For trepanation psuchophants ...

 http://www.gloje.org/en/phowa_dharma_auspicious_signs
http://www.gloje.org/en/phowa_dharma_auspicious_signs

Photos about a third way down the page.

---In fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com, <noozguru@...> wrote:

 Re noozguru/jr_esq: neither ayurveda nor astrology seem amenable to scientific
evaluation. Don't know much about ayurveda?  It's just biochemistry.