Ok, but is the TMO marketing focused on the sidhis or on relaxation and
creativity? I would think the latter given that DL is front and center. But I
am out of the TMO loops and have not been to an intro recently so am speaking
from educated guess rather than experience.

On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:05 AM, TurquoiseB <turquoi...@yahoo.com> wrote:

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com,  wrote:

> turq, I'm encouraged by these Gallup findings and I'm
> sure a lot of long term TMers would be also. The ones
> I know are practical, intelligent and compassionate.
> Also I bet a lot of people would love to know about
> and do something for world peace. Maybe whirled
> peas too (-:

My point is that the "marketing approach" of the TMO is that of
cultists, while pitching their product to non-cultists. Many (including
some of this forum) seem to equate "TMers" with "TM-Sidhas practicing in
a group." They seem to believe that the leap from 20 minutes twice a day
and an average of four hours per day (including travel time) is "No
Biggie," and that everyone that wants to learn TM wants to learn to
butt-bounce and spend that much time away from their real life, too.

I'm merely pointing out that this is an assumption made by people who
*themselves* in most cases gravitated to the four-hours-a-day lifestyle
after *decades* of indoctrination by the TM movement. They've actually
come to believe that such a schedule is "normal."

It ain't. And very few people who have...uh...lives will see it that
way, either. They *might* be open to learning a simple,
20-minutes-twice-a-day relaxation technique, but if the first thing that
happens when they go to a TM center for their followup is that people
start hustling them to learn the Sidhis and do them in a group, they're
gonna smell cult.

> ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com
wrote:

>  Just a note of caution to those who still believe that "If we charge
more/less/enough for TM, they will come," *they* in this case being the
untold millions you think are required to make the world a better place
and who are out there, just waiting for the right TM marketing approach.
Consider who you're talking to, and what *they* believe.

> The latest Gallup poll doesn't seem to indicate that John Q. American
Public is quite on the same wavelength that you are. 58% of them
probably wouldn't make it through the "15 day waiting period." The
legalization of marijuana has five times the number of supporters as
Congress does. 63% are unthreatened by homosexual behavior, and 53%
believe that same-sex marriage should be legalized. The
more-puritan-than-the-Puritans lifestyle ethic of many die-hard TMers
just doesn't map to the way that most Americans see the world.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gallup-legal-marijuana-is-more-popular-th\
an-almost-anything-else-2013-10
http://www.businessinsider.com/gallup-legal-marijuana-is-more-popular-th\
an-almost-anything-else-2013-10

> Me, I find these Gallup findings positive, and hopeful, because
they're *pragmatic*, and on the whole they seem to indicate that
Americans aren't quite the hyper-conservative know-nothings that the Tea
Party and others would have you believe they are. But such pragmatism is
not gonna be appealed to by Woo Woo propaganda about how many Yogic
Flyers can butt-bounce on the head of a pin made of polystyrene foam,
and how that's gonna magically create Whirled Peas.

> The thing that would make TM "marketable" again IMO would be a return
to the more pragmatic approach of the late 60s, in which it was marketed
as a simple relaxation technique that would help to make you less
stressed and more productive in your real-world activities. Nobody gives
a shit about enlightenment; if the Gallup organization polled for that
one, my bet is that the percentage of people they'd find who believe it
exists wouldn't crack two digits, and the number who would actually pay
money for it would be a fraction of that.

> A non-drug technique that takes only 40 minutes per day and could help
to lower stress levels is marketable. A Woo Woo "gateway drug" that only
seeks to hook people on a path to spending several hours of their day
bouncing on their butts with other people to create Whiled Peas is not.
Just sayin'...