--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Bhairitu  wrote:

> I suspect there are some VERY POOR people earning what we earn in an
> hour (when we have a project). But of course my line of work is done
in
> terms of the project hot hourly salary.  Companies around here are
> willing to shell out $10K a month for programming temps.  Of course
> you'd better look about 30 years younger than me for that job.

A track record of good work ( if not "good works" :-) can do wonders.
I am the oldest person in my office in Paris.

Interestingly enough, the co-workers I get along with the best are
the young'uns. I work with a number of young (early to mid 20s)
people who started there as interns while they were studying
Information Architecture at a university in Paris that teaches that.
A number of people from this office teach there, and they "mine"
their classes for talent. They hire them first as interns, but then if
they work out (and almost all do), they bring them on as employees.

But honestly, except for a few fellow consultants, I have more in
common with them than I do the employees. They're all so
"career-oriented." I could give a shit, being an old fart. And the
young'uns could give a shit, because they're young, and this is
their first real job. They haven't fallen into the "career advance-
ment" rut yet. They get off on the same thing I do -- doing a good
job because it's more fun than doing a shitty job.

Besides, they're fun, and we tend to groove on the same movies
and TV and bands. I've turned a few of them on to "Firefly" and
"Dollhouse" and "Breaking Bad," and they've turned me on to
a few cool French offerings.

Go figure.