The Mahasiddha Tilopa’s six essential points of
 meditation contain the basic principles of placement
 meditation.

 1. The first point is not to be distracted
 by, dwell upon, get involved
 in, get lost in, nourish, encourage,
 or follow thoughts about the past.
 Anything that arises concerning
 anything that occurred or one
 thought prior to the current moment,
 one should simply let go of it.
 Ultimately,one should develop the
 discipline or the automatic habit of
 letting go of such thoughts instantly,
 on the spot, and one should
 learn to remain in such a state of
 .permanent let-go..

 2. The second point is not to be distracted by,
 dwell upon, get involved in, get lost in, nourish,
 encourage, get fixated on, or follow thoughts about
 the present. In particular, one should not fixate on
 either outer phenomena or inner experiences.

 3. The third point is not to be distracted by, dwell
 upon, get involved in, get lost in, nourish, encourage,
 or speculate about the future or thoughts of the future,

 but to let go of them instantly as well.

 4. The fourth point is not to meditate. One should
 resist, or let go of the temptation, which at some
 point always arises in the experience of beginning
 meditators, to improve or make better one’s meditation

 by meditating on tranquility, or on the experience of

 openness or on clarity or on bliss or by fabricating or
 contriving any strategy to improve one’s meditation.

 All such attempts to improve one’s meditation by meditating are cul-de-
 sacs, and, as such, obstacles to meditation.

 5. The fifth point is not to analyze. Although there
 are other forms of meditation that teach one to
 analyze one’s experience, the ultimate goal of such
 analysis is to transcend analytical and conceptual
 impositions upon one’s experience altogether, so that

 one will finally experience directly the true nature of mind,

 the true nature of experience, the true nature of reality.

 So in this approach, according to the fifth point, one

 should not analyze; one should not engage in the asking

 of such questions as … What is its nature? Where does

 it really reside? How does appear here? Why is it at all?
 Does it exist outside or inside the mind? What are its other characteristics?.
One should let go of all tendencies to

 analyze one’s experience.

 So, then, if one is not to be distracted by thoughts of past,
 present, or future; and if one is not to meditate and not to

 analyze,then what should one be doing? What is one’s mind

 to hang on to? The answer is “nothing”. Tilopa's sixth point

 is just to “leave it to itself”. Whatever arises in the mind,

 one should neither welcome nor reject, neither encourage nor
 suppress, nor should one get lost in thoughts. In the words

 of Bokar Rinpoche there is “nothing to do”; nothing to do
 beyond resting in the awareness of the freshness of

 whatever arises.

 The style of breathing meditation that many of
 us in the Kagyu and Nyingma schools of Tibetan
 Buddhism begin with combines shamatha with the
 placement meditation style of vipashyana. When
 we are going out with the out-breath, which involves

 the sense of uniting mind and breath, and mind and

 breath with space, we are practicing shamatha.

 When we abandon this discipline at the end of the
 out-breath and simply rest in the space between the
 end of the out-breath and the beginning of the next
 out-breath, without any particular attention to the
 in-breath, we are practicing placement meditation.

 If, in our practice of this discipline, we find
 our experience during the “gap” has the
 quality of Tilopa’s six points of meditation,

 then it is no longer necessary to make a point of
following the breath. It can drop away just as a leaf
 drops off of a tree.

 However, if any form of mental dullness is
not dissolved co-emergently as it arises,

 or if one becomes distracted by or lost in

 thoughts, one should return to one’s shamatha

 discipline of following the breath.

 ---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

  Should TM'er Buddhists even be allowed to have a Dome badge? Is it possible
to be a buddhist and practice meditation effortlessly?
 -Buck