Not sure what, if anything, this has to do with the post of mine you're
responding to, but you need to get your facts straight: Robin wasn't trying to
"take over" the TM movement; rather, he wanted Maharishi's approval to make
some reforms and additions/modifications to the TM teaching (including the
TM-Sidhi techniques). Ann could tell you more about that; but what I understand
from his own writings is that he felt Maharishi's knowledge wasn't being
presented effectively at MIU. Robin was certain Maharishi would back him up (as
he's explained here in some detail), but that didn't happen, and Robin had to
get out of Dodge.

 I never made any objections to "studying" Robin's interactions with the TMO,
BTW. But it doesn't seem to me that they'd be of more than mild interest even
to cult scholars  Don't know how much of the "court transcripts" would be that
fascinating either. Again as I understand it, the lawsuits had to do primarily
with Robin's claim that MIU's actions in excommunicating or otherwise
sanctioning the students who became involved with his group, and prohibiting
him and his group from proselytizing on campus, were detrimental to his
business.

 Much more interesting than the legal wrangling, I should think, would be the
content of the proselytizing and Robin's tactics in implementing it.

 Frankly, I don't think you've paid enough attention to what Robin (and Ann and
a couple of others) wrote on FFL about those days to have a clear idea of
what's worth studying and what isn't. I seriously doubt any academic theses
will be written on the court transcripts.

 But my real objection, as I thought I'd made clear, was to the application of
mental health diagnoses to Robin, as he was then and is now (but especially
now), by folks who are eminently unqualified to do so.

Buck wrote:

 > The TM-Robin Carlsen court transcripts are proly someone's academic thesis
 > in the future for modern example of someone by personality coming broadside
 > to try to take over an existing group or movement. Historically sort of like
 > Count Leon did with George Rapp and the experience of fragmentation in the
 > Harmonists where you get the battle of character playing out in a spiritual
 > group by personality. It is really interesting story that one can see in
 > life and also learn to recognize as you go along. Seems very much part of
 > any of our adaptation in doing groups and dealing with the aspect of
 > charismatic leadership of whatever personality.

 > Practically this is sort of like, how far do you let someone run on with
 > their seeming mystical associations before you pull them up short?

 Is that even up to you? (Unless the person is interfering with your rights to
live your life as you choose.) I might remind you that there's more than one
FFL participant who thinks you need to be "pulled up short."

 > Like this guy who evidently is extremely clever showing up last week in
 > Fairfield trying to figure things out and get a foothold. It's noteworthy in
 > the field of study of mysticism and communal spiritual movements. What is
 > reality and what is mental illness in the range of things? Engraved gold
 > plates and angels?
 -Buck in the Dome

 That question is way premature given the very little you've told us about this
guy and how recently this has come up.

---In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, <fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 Buck wrote:
 > Whatutalking about? Robin Carlsen is a very interesting chapter in TM. He
 > and TM are going to be studied
 > by historical and social-science scholars for a long time to come.

 Maybe, maybe not. This was 30 years or so ago now, and there has been hardly
any evidence of any such studying of Robin in connection with TM so far.

 > > I guess that makes you and some others
 > > who went off with him part of TM that way too. That is okay. If nothing
 > > else the court transcripts will
 > > always be part of the study of TM. No need to get defensive.  I am glad
 > > you turned up here on FFL to
 > > share your experience with it too.  It is very interesting,  -Buck

 What's most interesting, it seems to me, is the difference between what we
know of Robin in his cult days, from Ann and a couple of others who were around
him then, and what we know of Robin firsthand from his presence on FFL in the
past couple of years. No study of Robin's psychopathology, such as it may have
been decades ago, would be complete if it didn't take that very striking
difference into account.

 Yet Barry, who did not know Robin 30-some years ago, labeled him as having NPD
based on Robin's participation on FFL.

 Take another look at the NPD characteristics that were mysteriously posted
here. Many of them do fit the picture of Robin we have from those who knew him
back then, but almost none of them fit his behavior on FFL. Yet according to
Barry, NPD is incurable even with professional therapy (which Robin never had;
any change in his behavior was due to his own efforts). That would appear to
call in question whether Robin had NPD even in his WTS days.

 Ann is quite right to rebuke those who would apply a mental health diagnosis
to Robin, either then or now, when they have no qualifications to do so.
Especially when they have a marked tendency to try to affix the NPD label to
anybody on FFL they don't like (and in Barry's case on Maharishi as well, as I
pointed out--but at least Barry actually knew Maharishi many years ago).